Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I currently can't afford some 700c Gatorskins, what does anybody think about Vittoria rubino slicks...pro or wired? Just for commuting/leisure rides on Tarmac.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I'd slide on over to the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro slicks. I have htem on my road bike and have not flatted on them (well once, but it was a spoke puncture, not related to the tire).

I regularly ride over sharp rocks/gravel, glass, etc etc etc.

These are awesome, have about 3k on them now. Several cuts on the tread area, zero flats.

I love 'em!

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I have heard that vittoria tyres are good if you have a limited budget. I shall heed your advice. Ebay here I come:)

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update: was going to get the zaffiros, but being a man who loves a 'bargain', got 2 new Specialized mondo pro's for about what would be 20 dollars in total inc postage. I can already imagine all you wise cyclists shaking your heads sadly!:eek:

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kneedrachen said:
"'tis a proper tosspot that limey is, aye?"

I'm not familiar with those tires, but if they do the job, it was a good buy:thumbsup:
They have just arrived. Look ok...they match my head ....completely bald. Proof will be in the riding. Bet I struggle to get em on

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kneedrachen said:
"'tis a proper tosspot that limey is, aye?"

I'm not familiar with those tires, but if they do the job, it was a good buy:thumbsup:
Was that an American pretending to be a Scotsman talking about an englishman? lol

·
215 Posts
As I currently can't afford some 700c Gatorskins, what does anybody think about Vittoria rubino slicks...pro or wired? Just for commuting/leisure rides on Tarmac.
I just installed a set of folding Rubino Pro Slicks I got on sale last year for $24, can't comment on the flat resistance or the longevity yet, but they ride nice, typical Vittoria ride quality. I got them because they got high reviews and they were cheap.

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I put the mondo's on the road bike and they seem to be fine. Did get some rubino slicks for the single speed and have just spent an hour installing 'em. Deep section rims and tight tyres. There has been swearing......

Pic of end result

Now to test em

image-203738236.jpg

Attachments

·
215 Posts
Well I put the mondo's on the road bike and they seem to be fine. Did get some rubino slicks for the single speed and have just spent an hour installing 'em. Deep section rims and tight tyres. There has been swearing......

Pic of end result

Now to test em

View attachment 7210
Did the swearing help get the tires on? I think true mechanics swear more then other people. Swearing probably engages the mechanical side of the brain more intensely.

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the swearing help get the tires on? I think true mechanics swear more then other people. Swearing probably engages the mechanical side of the brain more intensely.
It works for me............and I am no mechanic. Just had a quick spin....seem to ride well like you said. Hope they keep the flats away. Rode the zaffiros to their ultimate end... not one flat. Modern tyres do seem to be far better than they used to be

·
215 Posts
IRode the zaffiros to their ultimate end... not one flat. Modern tyres do seem to be far better than they used to be
I'm looking forward to using the Vitt's Rubino Pro Slicks to see how they fair. All reviews I've read have been very high.

I remember when folding clinchers first came out and I rushed to get new wheels because I had tubulars, and I hated the nonsense associated with tubulars. The first set of folding Clinchers I got were the Specialized Turbos and they actually worked quite well. I was able to race on them but for serious road racing I went and put the tubs back on. This was back in the late 70s. But the folding tire technology, flat protection technology, and casing technology has improved to the point where clinchers are now used in pro racing by a lot of pros.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts