Smoothing rim braking surface

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

On a ride over the weekend, I got a chip on the braking surface of my AL rims. I've heard you can just sand this out/down. Does anyone know what grit of sandpaper works the best for this? I would assume I want something fairly fine, but still coarse enough to actually do some good.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

You can use any grit you choose even a real low grit just work it down with progressively finer grits until it matches the surrounding area. The only issue you are going to have is you will have a divot or dip there. So try to remove as little material as possible maybe look at a small file or something to just knock the edges off the chip so it doesn't catch the brakes, and cause premature wear on that pad, but leave the hole there. It will eventually smooth itself out with braking if it isn't to large.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, I've heard the pad dragging there, and that's why I figured I need to do something about it. Thanks for the advice!

4. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Hi xela, i'm sure mavic do an abrasive block for the cleaning of rims which could be used for getting rid of marks or scratches.