Snow

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wild, Dec 19, 2009.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Snow. about 4" here in South Jersey at 7:40am Saterday, looks like the bike will be sitting a wile,
    So how much SNOW you get and where are you located :confused:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Our local ski resorts get 500-600 inches per year. Two weeks ago we got 5" in the valley overnight.

3. wild

Thay are saying 12" to 20" here from this storm we are up to 6"at 10:30 and the hard snow is suppose to start after 12 noon.

4. mike047

mike047 New Member

8inches +/- in western NC:(

5. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

No snow on the ground..at this time.
    Denver Colorado.
    We have had a couple of good snows this season though.

6. wild

I know I should not say this, it looks like the snow is about over here, there may be 10" on the ground here . The wind has picked up and the snow is drifting but the roads don't look to bad.

7. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

We have 15" covering the ground with drifts that are much deeper.

The DC/B-more Snowpocalypse is upon us!

[​IMG]
    ^ The Abominable Snow Ryan!

[​IMG]
    Mrs. HandsomeRyan and I. I tried to talk her into riding the tandem today, she declined.

[​IMG]
    I'm 6'3" and that snow is legitimately knee deep. This was taken several hours ago and it is still snowing out.

8. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

NE Indiana got 3", 3x what was predicted. Slick and slushy. Don't think even studded tires would be much help in this slop....

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

In east Tennessee and southwest Virginia we got between 8" and 18". When it started snowing I left work and headed home. I ended up stuck in traffic 4.5 hours at a standstill turned the car off and sat listening to the radio. I would start it every so often to warm it up then back off to relax. The 1:20 drive home from work ended up taking me 7 hours. 2 trucks had jack knifed on a hill and they had to get a road grader there to pull them out of the way and plow a path around them. While I was sitting it snowed 4" on my car. I was on Highway 19 north of Abingdon VA and was at the front of the line. I learned later that over 700 vehicles were stranded on hwy 19. The bad part was that there were numerous hills and each hill had a truck blocking the road.

In Johnson City TN they had a 2 trucks wreck at the base of a hill they had trouble getting anything to them because they were at the bottom of one hill going down and that was at the base of a hill going up like a valley. The cars stuck in traffic were there for 3+ hours. A church near the road went out and cut the fence near the highway and set up a shelter where a lot of the people walked to when their vehicles ran out of gas or became stuck.

Around here the road crews can't keep up with the snow. They hit the main roads and get them clear and start on the secondaries only to have the main roads beocome covered in snow due to the storm so they get back to the main roads and most secondaries are impassable. I drove my 4x4 pickup to my sister-in-laws today and was only able to drive 1.5 to 2 miles out of 15 in 2 wheel drive the rest was in 4wheel drive making a trail where no one had driven yet.

The snow is also very wet and heavy. It has taken down some power lines but the real mess is the trees that are down. One road I tried to drive down today had a tree with a base of over 3 feet across down across the road it had taken a power pole and power and phone lines down with it. It is definitely going to be a lot of work to get all of the mess around here cleaned up.

This morning we heard on the radio that there was a mess on hwy 81 in VA and that there was traffic backed up for 20 miles. We are expecting more snow tonight and tomorrow. Lots of fun here, and I am having blast I love the snow. Heck I spent an hour out on my 4 wheeler doing donuts in the yard. Yep love it.

10. HandsomeRyan

I think only 'far' east TN got snow. My family in Knoxville got nothing but rain.

Glad you made it home okay.

11. wild

Wel here we are at 5:40 Sunday morning and I knew I should have not said it stoped. I got the back door opean but the front still has a snow drift in front of it.
    Looks like more snow to come, we have 12" or more and thay are saying 8 more " tonight . Looks like the road is opean, but I don't think I will be useing it any time soon, maybe in March or April. last X-Mass I gave my 3 grandsons a new snow shovel and a map to the house but thay won't show up evean if I stand out side with money in my hand. I allways had 4 wheel drive trucks but the new one I baught an 09, 4 door crew cab Hemi Big Horn no 4 wheel drive not evean posi. :(

12. Industry_Hack

I pass a lot of 4WDs in the snow in my little Scion... :D

13. wild

I had a 2001 Dodge 2500 cummings diesel long bed crew cab 4x4 that thing got stuck more than any thing I ever had. But it was 7000# empty, that thing could tow though.

14. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

:D:D:D
    I go looking for snow...
    [​IMG]

Thankfully, I have enough sense to have a winch...or it would be a long day...:eek:
    [​IMG]

This is a friend...He got real close to a bad day this day...
    [​IMG]

15. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Wild, I have a '93 and it does pretty well in the snow, we got 22" Dec 14th.
    I'll post a few pics with this message.

back porch Dec 14.jpg

Back yard Dec 14, 09 030.jpg

car Dec 14, 09 019.jpg

Road outDec 14, 09 033.jpg

It's 3 mi back to my house from the last pic.

DrB

16. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I did the same in my Chevy metro. You have to hand it to a front wheel drive car they do go good in the snow and ice as long as it isn't to deep. I think my metro also has an advantage that most don't, it is so underpowered it couldn't spin the tires on ice if I pulled the emergency brake to lock the rear tires up and floored it in first gear. So no spinning out while taking off for me.:D

17. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

We got about 3" here in Ohio so I busted out the MTB and hit the trail. I did about 10 miles and had a great time. And talk about a work out? Wow!

18. HandsomeRyan

Mrs. HandsomeRyan and I live in a small apartment so we didn't have a shovel. This morning we suited up and walked about 3 miles to the local Harbor Freight to buy a shovel, then walked 3 miles back (up hill, in the snow, just like the old days) After our six mile snow hike, I dug out my car, most of the sidewalks around my apartment, and helped a couple neighbors dig their cars out too. I'm going to hurt tomorrow.

19. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Well over a foot here in MA near Cape Cod over last night into the late morning.

20. Industry_Hack

One of the few times that I got stuck in deep snow, I nearly killed myself trying to push it out. My fiance' was giving it gas, but neglected to lower the parking brake. :rolleyes:

My Jeep was a handful to drive in the snow, can't say I miss it. If I could get back my Landcruiser, and my RAV4 for my fiance', we'd be set.