So I gotta vent

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rola643, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

If you don't wanna listen to my sob story here is your warning BACK OUT NOW!

Ok here it is.

My front steps to my porch were in need of being cleaned and stained again. I absolutely hate having to do this kind of maintenance every year to keep things looking decent.
    I finally decided enough is enough and called a brick mason to see what it would cost to have brick steps put in. I originally had 4 steps of wood and the brick mason came and gave me a quote, explained he would have to add another tread ( his word for a step ) and gave me a few choices in the brick and what not. I choose brick that matched the rest my home and front porch. I also picked bull nosed brick. They are rounded on the front vs being square. they were considerably more than the other bricks as in .85 a brick vs 3.85 per brick. I opted to go for it because to me it was a much cleaner look. He came and built the steps and I was VERY pleased with the quality and work he gave me.

In the process I had to redo my hand rails and opted to continue in the do it once vain and choose TimberTech Radiance Rail System which is composite material. Again this stuff is WAY more expensive than treated wood but I choose that for a clean and lasting finish...Do it once and be done with it, right?

This is where my blues begin..Found someone that would do it, put up new handrails, for a reasonable price and he screwed it up. Guess you get what you pay for and now I'm screwed. He screwed up the miter cuts on the rails and it looks like crap. Now it's looking like I'll have to buy the top rails at 180 bux a whack and find a COMPETENT contractor that can make the cuts and make it fit right. If I wanted something that looks like this I could have done it myself. He tried to fill 1/4" gaps with caulking that made it look that much worse and now I'm fighting with this clown to make it right.. I HATE this SH$% ! I hate dealing with a contractor about more than anything. We just went through something similar on a kitchen remodel job.

I just upload a couple pictures of a couple of the joints to give you an idea. To me when I'm paying as much as I have I will demand better work than that! When I have close to a grand in 6ft of rail I have no pitty for this quality of work but yet I have to fight this clown over his workmanship...I'm so over it

Looking at the pictures it might be hard to see why I'm so pissed but believe me it looks like SH!#! Sorry, I'm going to get a beer.I'm done now and feel better!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

That's pretty shoddy workmanship, are you getting your money back? Don't know about your state, but in some you can take a person to court for that.

3. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

the steps look very nice... sorry to hear about the other part. people should take pride in what they do

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If it will make you feel any better, I will list all the work that was done to my house before I bought it. By a drunken blind man that couldn't be bothered to go to the Lowes across the street or the plumbing store two blocks down.

5. sorbut

sorbut New Member

WOW! Nice looking steps!

At first I thought your frustrations was going to come from something not done to code and would require a do-over.

The fit work on the handrails is, in a word, sloppy. Double WOW!! I'd be upset too. :hate:

You lost me a little though. The new handrail appears brown while the crap work photos are white. Irregardless, sloppy joints are not strong joints!! I'd be especially upset since it is obvious that your choice of materials, and the quality workmanship of the mason, lends itself for the expectation of a quality finished product. And you didn't get it!!

I think I know how you feel. I'm the type I'd look at it every time I walked by...and it would pee me off. :mad: :mad:

edit...I guess the white posts are keeping with the color scheme of the porch? The top photo shows the original posts are deteriorated at the bottom.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  6. rola643

Long story short I took a day off of work today to let him *try* and fix this although I don't see how it possible. His pay might less the cost of some new material to fix this crap. He's not happy and all I can say is...SUCKS to be him, I'm very sorry he took a job he was not competent to complete.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Very nice steps.

Sorry about the railing, do you have a wider shot to see how it all goes together?

8. ksr5

ksr5 Active Member Tavern Member

I put contractors right below lawyers

9. rola643

I put most general contractors lower than whale [email protected]#....

10. rola643

Thanx Dean, I took this rather quickly on my way out the door

Attached Files:

11. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

wow... that is nice. i hope the close up issues get fixed. very pretty and looks like a place you would want to be welcomed.

12. sorbut

sorbut New Member

Your latest photo looks good, but can't tell if the gaps have been repaired. I hope it is to your satisfaction.

Nothing can be as bad as a lawyer. They take the top 10 spots in my mind. I could tell some stories that would make your head spin. Opportunists all! :hate: If it's good enough for me and my son, it's good enough to happen in their family. :mad:

13. nh_district

nh_district New Member

That last pic looks pretty good, all fixed?

This is what I worry about though. I haven't had to do much business with contractors yet. I've had good luck so far; we had the furnace replaced this fall and those guys did an awesome job. Had some chimney work done right around the same time, and no complaints there either. Just dreading that one time hiring the wrong guy...

The biggest headache I've had with this place is that the previous owner was apparently not very handy at all, but seemed to think he was. Can't even count all the shoddy "repairs" I've had to redo properly since moving in.

Most of them were quick and easy, it's just annoying. Pretty well sorted out at this point though. :thumbsup:

14. rola643

It's as fixed as can be and looks pretty good now. I'll call it a 20 footer as in a 20 footer paint job on a car! It may look fantastic from 20 ft but the closer you get and the harder you look all the flaws come out :) I'm getting a wooden fence done and he had the balls to ask if he could put in a bid, I told him SURE go ahead but don't hold your breath!

nh_ you are right. If I could find a 100 like the brickmason I found they all would awesome to deal with. Here is a link to the home he built himself. It was actually open for tour a couple of years ago. The work and detail is so incredible the picture does it NO justice. Brick mason builds himself a brick igloo | TuscaloosaNews.com

Attached Files:

15. Industry_Hack

New water heater, not installed correctly - 40 gallons of water soaking into the downstairs carpet.
    All new internal doors, but not one with the hinges correctly installed - none of them closed all the way.
    New ceramic tile in the kitchen and baths, grout not sealed - looks like s**t.
    All new kitchen cabinets, with microwave over the stove - outlet installed too low, so cabinets too low. New fridge didn't fit.
    Two toilets installed with white caulking instead of wax rings. Plumbing store is two blocks away.
    New laundry room, no dryer vent.

The seller had bought the house to flip, and hired her brother in law to do all the work. He didn't have a clue.

16. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

^^^Although a pre-closing walkthru might not have picked of some of those things, I would have thought you would have noticed the interior doors not shuting. Sorry to say I got a chuckle out of the missing wax rings imagining how that was discovered!:eek:

P.O.S.T. = previous owner stupid tricks is a term I got to know quite well while restoring my 1972 Land Rover

17. Industry_Hack

It wasn't until the fridge was delivered that we found out the cabinets were too low. The water heater leaked before we moved in, but that was taken care of. Didn't figure out the grout wasn't sealed until it was too late - it's badly stained. Found out about the plumbing problems in the worst way, which included two plumbers on the roof*, trying to clean the drain, and the downstairs ceiling caving in partway from the water.

*When digging up the side yard to put in the patio, we found the cleanout under about ten inches of soil.

18. nh_district

nh_district New Member

Now I need to vent, but it's not the contractor's fault:

Two weeks ago we had a landscaping company come in, roto-till our yard, lay down topsoil, and reseed. My wife and I have been patiently waiting to see that beautiful first green peach fuzz appear.

Well today we arrived home, and there it was. And there we were, crouched on our walkway admiring our new seedlings. At exactly this point, one of the neighborhood kids runs from our next door neighbor's yard, across the corner of our yard and down the street shouting a quick "SORRY" as she passed by.

I look back across the path she had taken and see five deep footprints (the soil is obviously pretty wet since I've been keeping it well watered). It was like something out of a movie, I was too dumbfounded to even formulate a response.

19. Industry_Hack

You gotta train those kids. My neighbor's kids ask permission before they play on my lawn. Even the cats don't walk on my lawn without asking.

Attached Files:

20. nh_district

nh_district New Member

Lol, that pic is awesome.

Yeah, I'd hate to be the "get off m'lawn ya damn kids!" guy, but it's really annoying. This is far from an isolated incident either, the kids in this neighborhood really don't show a lot of respect for other people's property. When I was a kid, the only property I played on was my friend's, we didn't just run all over everyone's yards.

I've just been grinning and bearing it, I figured that was the protocol here. We're still fairly new -this will only be our second summer- so I've been letting it slide. This time damage was done though, and that ain't cool. It's not like this kid was too young to know better either, she looked around 12.

I'm trying to think of a diplomatic way to deal with it, and coming up short.