So tell us: How was your ride today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Doohickie, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Let's share our ride experiences. I'll start.

I've posted in a few other threads about the single speed bike I got for Christmas. One thing that vexed me about getting a bike is that I've been having significant knee pain while riding. Now I have a new bike and I (reluctantly at first) began taking it out. After a few miles.... the pain in my knee would start up again.

At first riding ss seemed about 2 to 3 times harder than riding a geared bike (for a given distance) due to not being able to shift up or down for conditions. I'm getting the hang of how to take the hills, how to start from a dead stop, when to just glide along, when to push. The thought process, at least for me, is a lot different than riding a geared bike.

Anyway, tonight, the ride was like heaven. I did the full 10 miles and had no knee pain whatsoever. I finished strong and felt like I could have continued another 5 or 10 miles. It's the best I've felt after riding the single speed.

The best part was that just before turning off the main road onto my street I was passed by a motorcyclist who gave me a thumbs up as he went by. :D

Here's my route.

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Yesterday afternoons ride COLD It was 29* and I was cold for the first 5 miles then I started to feel better by the end of my 10 miles I was cold but feeling good, this may be the best ride I have had under 36*, I know that I did get losened up so maybe I am getting acustemed to the cold. Snow on the ground this morningI should have put some tires with tread on the Explorer instead of the slicks, bouth bikes sitting this morning.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

3. Doohickie

There's something neat about riding in bad weather (provided you're more or less adequately covered).

I wasn't sure if I'd get a ride in today with the weather being borderline bad (40* and drizzling). But this morning I picked up some neato wool gloves with Thinsulate linings. The gloves are fingerless but they have a flip-over mitten to cover the fingers if it's too cold (or flip it back if it's too warm). That inspired me to get out and ride around a bit- 19 miles by the time I was done. I was on the single speed again.

Here's my route.

4. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I did 45 minutes at 75% mhr in my basement on the stand. After a 5K run outside.
    Does that count?

5. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

37 miles this AM on the tandem with my wife-- about 53 when we started and 64 when we finished... light winds = Great Ride:D

6. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Started the new year with 3 punctures over 15 miles. Have never flatted 3 times in a month before this.

Things are looking good.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Do that every day till spring and you'll be an animal.

8. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Training for a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks.
    Ran one a month ago in Vegas, got the next one in Phoenix on the 17th.

THEN...
    THEN.
    Couch city for me for a month!!!(perhaps a week or 2)

9. Doohickie

Much nicer riding for me today. I rode 25 miles on the single speed, including an uphill grade I use as a benchmark (it goes up for a pretty good ways, then gets really steep at the end). I frankly didn't think I could do it. And I almost didn't. But I did. :D

A couple pics of the Cutter apparently swimming upstream, and a shot of the old County Courthouse with some glassy office towers beyond:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. stealthammer

stealthammer Still spinnin'.....

Twenty miles in 7* temps under clear skys on the fixie "for a cup of coffee". It was a bit nippy at first, but within two miles I was feeling pretty good.

I really baffled some of the drivers along the way though and I think some of them thought they were seeing things. My thanks to Terramar and Pearl Izumi for making it possible..... :D

11. Doohickie

I've ridden as cold as 17* here in Texas, and actually I was pretty toasty; a few degrees cooler wouldn't have been too bad. Is it pretty dry there?

12. stealthammer

stealthammer Still spinnin'.....

For the past few days its been dry, but we are suppose to get more snow/rain later this week. It's interesting that the temps haven't gotten above freezing for several days but the snow pack has been diminishing as it evaporates without melting. Either way the roads have gotten clear enough that the studs stayed in the garage today......

13. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

20 miles on a bike trail thru the "hood", from Pittsburg to Antioch CA and back, temp was 60. Sprinters route, lots of stops and starts due to crossing streets.

I had to put this out there since I see so many people on this thread ridin in cold environs. All I have to say is COME ON DOWN!!!

It is pretty pleasant riding in the East side of the SF Bay, temps were nice after it stopped rainin. Think I'm gonna do 35mi tomorrow, temps gonna be warmer than today.

DrB

14. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I haven't been out lately with the Holiday celebrations going on and now it's going to be 30 as a high for the rest of the week. The cold I can tolerate but adding rain to the forecast makes a ride unlikely this week.

15. Doohickie

I did a check ride on my commuter this evening. I had some problems before the holidays- flat tire & broken spokes- so I wanted to take it out for a little ride to wring it out. I went 18 miles with temps in the 30s and a 15 mph headwind out of the north for the first half of the ride. I appreciated the tail wind going home.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  16. Doohickie

I commuted to work on the bike for the first time this year yesterday. I rode with a friend. It was about 30 with a slight tail wind going in; mid 40s but a stiff headwind going home. The ride was 17 miles each way which was tough with the tendonitis in my knee. But I rode.

Today... about 10 degrees colder and icy roads. Time to drive.

17. gearman

gearman Guest

26 miles,95 minutes,72 degrees, damn stop signs

18. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well it is 8:20 am and the sun is shining and it is 20* out side . I did not ride yesterday verry windy and 21* but if the wind is not blowing too hard I will try to get 10 miles in today.

19. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

Temps in the 20's ...my rides the last few days have been on the "Machine from HELL" more affectionately known as my Wind Trainer. A 20 plus year relationship wherein she kicks my butt as I attempt series of intervals and periods of tempo.

I have a 50 mile off road bicycle event in 13 days--- so I have no choice but to train. Not fun... but purposeful--- by age 52 I have learned a few things.

20. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

It was 15F with a 4F windchill when I left the house this morning; had to stop and pay a bill before going to work, so my normal, TINY winter commute was almost tripled. Since I'm still dealing with the ankle, I can't pedal as hard as I could normally. Actually, that's a good thing, keeps the XTRA windchill down!

Just short of 6 miles, total time about 27 minutes -- pretty good for not working as hard as I normally do, and being significantly down the gear scale!

For the first time since before Thanksgiving, I actually got some quad burn going! COOL!