Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who I love to death and this morning he calls me and says do you know there is a 100 mile ride 2 weeks after we get back from Mexico and it's in Brown Co state park down to the hoosier national forest. this is a MOUNTAIN Bike RIDE.. ok so
there are a 20 40 60 mile sections also... first I looked at a video of the bike trail and I have a hard time on a SIDE WALK let along a dirth path with rocks and trees and roots and dead branches? yes I know I have a Moutain bike but that is because 1. I didn't know the difference and 2. it was cheap. now 8 wks later I've learned so much and a lot of it right here .. but what the heck I think this man is trying to kill me I told him if I surrive Mexico I'll talk about the moutain bike ride. but I dont' even like riding across gravel or grass for fear of it slipping out from under me.
Pointers and advice please:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My one and only mountain bike race about 11 or 12 years ago finished by me walking my bike across the finish line... almost dead last. If I remember correctly two other people had a worse day than I did. To me it's a lot harder to do than laying down miles on the road.

I surely don't want to discourage you, but I'd stay focused on the current goal :)

·
717 Posts
that's nuts!

Maybe if they give me a week to complete, but maybe not

·
Texan Out of Place
48 Posts
I've completed centuries on the road ... and I've heard that off-road/trail centuries are killer hard.

A road century is hard enough ...

Good luck!!!!

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did not tell him flat NO but yeah I was thinking it. But they do have a 20 mile section and with the entry you get two nights tent camping incuded.. What I did say was .... Lets finish Mexico and see how I do and then I'll deside.
I'm really excited abut the Mexico ride. I've not been out of the county in 18 years and that was cause the X was in the army so lived in Germany

and from what I've read and been told there is a hill in Mexico call el'tigere ? and I guess it is 2 miles that goes up 800 ft? then back down and then maybe anotyher 10 miles to the finish line? I don't know. but that is my goal for the moment and If i can do 50 flat maybe I can do 20 in the dirt? who knows but right now it's below 90 and i'm going for a ride!!

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My one and only mountain bike race about 11 or 12 years ago finished by me walking my bike across the finish line... almost dead last. If I remember correctly two other people had a worse day than I did. To me it's a lot harder to do than laying down miles on the road.

I surely don't want to discourage you, but I'd stay focused on the current goal :)
No discouragement I was thinking I could take 3rd to the last and be ok with that lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you finish it, its quite an accomplishment. Even if its behind last place, you did it. Still I would encourage you to get some experience on dirt first. Learn what it feels like with the back end slides and a little familar with the bike control off road. The go have fun.

·
173 Posts
Just like a little one, one step at a time. Like someone stated earlier, stay focused on
the prize. Good luck & keep us posted. You can do it!!

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I need better muscle. I am bearly and i mean bearly able to stand up and peddle. and I know that that is a big part of riding over rough ground.

I worked on hills yesterday. compared to when I started I had (no joke) having trouble with speed bumps and yestrday I found a road with them non stop and did about 5 miles of them then I ran out of water and came home and realzied I was sun burned like crazy. and am "cooling down"... we shall see what this afternoon brings

·
Most Unusual
149 Posts
/00\ More miles need to be ridden before that many mile ride :) But believe me - when you do - do it - it's awesome. And offroad - which I do as well - does present more issues (and pleasantries) as well. It's a little more tougher.

Have fun and good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts