So what age do you currently think is "old"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Road Runner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

Do you find that your definition of old age, as defined by years, is a moving target? :D

When I was young, I used to think that people my current age were probably feeble of mind and drooled on themselves a lot. Now I am thinking maybe not. :)

fpl1, John_V and MarthaLovesCheese like this.
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

3. MarthaLovesCheese

MarthaLovesCheese Member

I think this thread will be tough to support as it forces us to confront our own mortality. Like the closing of another Kmart store.

- Cheese

fpl1 likes this.
  4. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

I just find it interesting to see how my perception of the aged has changed as I've grown older.

My mind is still the same undisciplined mess that it was when I was 25, but some of the other stuff doesn't work so well. :(

fpl1 likes this.
  5. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

'Old' comes when you can no longer ride. At all. Bad times to be old.

bikebum1975, fpl1, superj and 3 others like this.
  6. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I am 74, this year, the ridding has went to she it, i am hoping that when the weather gets nicer i can put on some miles ,
    My favorite bike has 17,000 miles on it

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    bikebum1975, fpl1, superj and 4 others like this.
  7. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Sooo...awesome, not old!

fpl1, John_V, Dos_Ruedas and 2 others like this.
  8. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Generally ten years older than I am is pretty old.
    The last two 5Ks I did I was the oldest one entered, the last four triathlons I did I was also the oldest. I'm starting to think I might be getting old.

az_cyclist, flan48, fpl1 and 6 others like this.
  9. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

I've learned to quote my mother...

"Better over the hill than under it!"

I used to think I was getting old. I was in pain every single day. Yes, I am blessed to be retired at a young age, but I have met several people that were bored with their retirement. To each his/her own. Riding the bike, and I never have to stop again unless I am unable or decide to do so, has made me feel like a kid again. An old, homely looking one, but mostly pain-free just the same.

Willie... I saw him in '88 and I am a fan.

bikebum1975, wild, fpl1 and 5 others like this.
  10. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Most of my aches and pains are a result of me riding a bike/crashing a bike.

FRISKY, John_V and superj like this.
  11. lectrichead

lectrichead Active Member

I've always had a 'mental' age of 25 or so and never considered myself old until this last year - then I mentally started to feel it; like people younger than I are just damned crazy sometimes. I think it's this crazy political climate though.
    I grew up with parents who were the age of my friend's grandparents, my dad was very active (more so than people half his age) until the last few years and despite health problems so was my mother up until she died.
    So I have never had much of a sense of older people being 'old'.

12. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Once you reach Grandparent age, you are no longer part of the world and people stop listening to you. Embrace it. :)

John_V likes this.
  13. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

All of y'all are old .... particularlry the ones who are older than me .... I am spry and youthful.

fpl1 likes this.
  14. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

When I was a child, I thought of 60's as old. Then, when I reached my 20's, I thought 70 was old.

As I watched my father's health declined, I realized we're all in our twenties in our minds and we sometimes expect our bodies to do things they can no longer do.
    My father was quite the athlete, but toward the end he was frustrated that he couldn't make his legs do what he wanted them to do.

By the way, I now think of old as a state of mind one allows themselves to slip into.
    I have several good friends between the ages of 65 and 75 and any one of them could hike, run or bike the heart right out of many teenagers. Lol

My park ranger tech team partner is 70+ and he rock climbs & hikes weekly. He rides often, but has slacked off some due to teens and their phones while driving.

I hope to stay young until I die.

FRISKY, fpl1, John_V and 4 others like this.
  15. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

^ Absolutely! I hope to stay young until I die as well.

FRISKY, fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and 2 others like this.
  16. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I always just thought old was the people who act old. like they sit and watch tv all day and are humped over and need help moving around. my grandpa always was working, up until the last 5 years or so. working around the yard, taking grandkids places, picking them up. he kept up the garden and everything, up until he was about 78 or 79. my grandma worked until she passed away at 78. she was an er nurse as long as I had known her and than she suddenly died of cancer.

my dad is in his 60s and still runs marathons and does those tough mudder and runs like those. he was always a triathlon guy, though. my mom wasn't a sport person but has always walked and did stuff like that.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and RidesAlot like this.
  17. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

^ Your dad is only in his 60's???

superj, John_V and MilesR like this.
  18. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

That makes me feel old!

John_V likes this.
  19. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

After reading this thread, I feel old. The only one, so far, that older than me is Wild. I guess I'll need to start looking for that rocking chair and quilt to keep my lap warm. :D

fpl1, longjohn and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  20. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

Just sit in your car with the "bun warmers" on.

FRISKY, superj and John_V like this.