Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying over and over again to tighten this rear luggage rack on my bicycle seat post so it wouldn't move, I finally had enough. And yes I did include the rubber pieces around the post and the rack with my installation attempts (one was not enough and two was too big for the rack to slide down). So I took it to Doudney Sheet Metal on 7-26-12 in Sarasota Florida and had it welded. Problem solved. They even painted the weld. A great job for sure. With my model bicycle this is the only type rear rack I could use.

Attachments

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Hack do you have a better photo I think I see some undercut and a little roolover allso conave welds indecateing down hand welding.
Weldor 45 years ;) :D

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Thanks for seeing everyone. With this type rack, no matter how much you tighten, it still would move on you. Not anymore. Take care.
Sorry about the hijack. This is actually a great thread, as you've shared a very workable solution for a difficult issue. :thumbsup::thumbsup: for thinking outside the box.

·
600 Posts
Great idea on weld - much better solution than one I did years ago. I was pulling a young child on a trailer bike & the seat post mount kept shifting.

I drilled a hole in the seat post & pinned it. Probably lost some structural integrity, but it worked...not a great idea, I probably would not do it again...young & dumb. :eek:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yeah if you had nice handlebars, I would have said less than one of Hack's handlebars, but tandems have two bars and I did use the plural. :D

Bones, its a "high-end department store bike" from the dark ages of MTB, rigid fork. I think Guy paid less than $500 for it new. He sold it to me after he found tandem riding was not beneficial for his relationship. Here I am by the side of the road looking for a stoker. :(

Sorry for the thread hijack, Trail guy!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
The stoker stem is more expensive than most bars, and they're hard to find. After paying a small fortune for a steel one, I got an aluminum one on eBay for less than $5, because the guy didn't know what it was.

It's funny, but my ex and I fought a lot, but got along well on the tandem. When we were off road, she couldn't see where we were going, which probably helped. We would ride across town, over some mountains that gave you a birds-eye view of the beach, then along the beach to a coffee shop, before heading home. She put up with a lot more than most would have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts