Some cool vintage road bikes

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by cbman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157621753599086/

These are some pictures of my 1975 Panasonic Tourist-10 road bike and 1970 era Raleigh Sports bike.
    The original speedometer that was on the Panasonic broke so I replaced it with the one shown. I found the speedometer on Ebay. The Trek light that is on the Panasonic bike I bought at my local bike shop. The Panasonic road bike is especially cool because the overrunning clutch is located in the front on the crank set. This design allows the chain and crank set sprockets to be in constant motion with the cassette and wheel set, while the cranks are stationary. The design was made for 3 years but then ditched due to it's low amount of strength.

The Raleigh bike uses an internal 3 speed hub. Basically it's a planetary gear set and single cog instead of a cassette and derailleur.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Jina

Jina Guest

Niice bike! Love the detail.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

That Brooks saddle is a nice touch (expensive one too, huh?).

4. Sean

Sean New Member

I remember Schwinn using that system, I think on their Varsity in 79 or 80. I never understood the benefit, other than you can shift while not pedaling - I think. Nice looking bike how much does it weigh?:p

5. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

It's awesome not having to pedal and still be able to shift!:cool: It's not too heavy, definatly not carbon-fiber though:D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  6. Coprinus

Coprinus Guest

What a sweet bike! That's the look that Raleigh should be working to bring back - full fenders and all - those bikes are great for putting around town, grocery shopping, and even short tours (especially with that saddle)! Thanks for the photos!

7. Natalyah44

Natalyah44 Guest

8. BigBlueKnight

BigBlueKnight Guest

looks like im gonna have to take pictures of my 78 schwinn varsity before i sell it

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I like the old school look. Reminds me of my Grandpa.

10. lotek

lotek New Member

vintage bikes? I feel right at home.
    here's my RIH
    [​IMG]
    and my Pogliaghi Pista, yah I know not road but I love it
    [​IMG]
    I've got a few more old dutch bikes and a 1984 Trek 770 waiting to be built up.
    My daily rider is a 20 year old Serotta.

Marty

11. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Told ya. Much nicer crowed too. Not that C&V gets rough...

12. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

Dude, I can't view the pictures you have up, could you repost them on like flicr or something, Then post the link?

13. lotek

lotek New Member

yah there's something up with Wooljersey. I'll move pictures to my picassa page once
    I get off work where media sharing is blocked.

14. pvb

pvb New Member

Gazelle from Holland make some fantastic vintage bikes. Ride like a dream too.