Two Spoke Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Ron, a semi retired photographer and studio owner (32 years). We moved on a lake 6 years ago and just like to relax and have fun. I was 179 last Christmas and my brother in law said - lets make a bet on weight loss amount over next 3 mo. I WON. Lost 35 lbs. Still loosing by not trying. After the excersise kick was started.... I continued to be active this summer, bought a bike as a friend has one. So I've been biking for about 2 months. And have bought 3 bikes so far. First was 100.00 mtn bike... learned the tires with all that rubber were TO HARD TO PEDDLE ON for any length. SOLD IT 2 days later for 150. (bought and sold on craigs list)

Then bought a FULL CARBON frame hybrid. Was MTN but converted with road bike slicks, had a Rock Shox front fork, I changed to carbon fixed fork.

Thats a nice bike so I KEPT IT - but wanted a road bike. Found a Craigs list SCOTT speedster S20 CR1 at less than 1/2 the price new - in MINT condition.
So using that now. (primarily). I ride with 2 guys - 10 and 18 years younger than I am and we use STRAVA for competing various segments. I'm ahead of them on many. Pretty cool for 55. We ride 2-3 times a week. On the weekends - 30 - 50 mile runs. During the week maybe 15 miles per ride.

Bad part - these great finds are rare, so it's a bit to big for me. I have changed the stem to shorter and pushed the set forward to max. Seems ok, but i'd prefer my body more foward as I think it would get me up over my legs more. I know fit is everything. But Seems to fit ok. I'm also using cages. clipless is in my near future.

We have lots of great bike trails nearby... most in shade along the river in the city. Really blessed to have them so close. I also sail, play guitar... been married for 32 years - two kids. 1.5 grand sons.

Well that's my intro.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yeah, when you start posting here, you get encouraged to introduce yourself.

I put 0.25 miles on my Scott Elite 16 this evening. Fun with GPS.

Did you know Ed Scott invented the aluminum ski pole? I think the Scott lawn care company is a different Scott, but Scott bicycles are made by the company Ed Scott founded.

The aerobars that Greg Lemond used to beat Fignon in the final stage of the 1989 TDF were made by Scott.

How much weight did your brother-in-law lose? :p

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Welcome Ron. I have some family up in B.C.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I knew about scott. They're still heavy in the ski products... especially goggles.

NEXT reply

In B C huh that's close. But haven't rode my bike there yet. = )
Kellog's is there too. = )

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
In B C huh that's close. But haven't rode my bike there yet. = )
Kellog's is there too. = )
Yup but I'd rather be in Grand Rapids just cuz Founders brewing is there :D

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not much of a beer fan... but when I do drink beer it's Founders. (most interesting man in the world) hehehe

Really I don't care for most beer, but home to founders and back is a favorite ride of mine! I like their DARK porter or oatmeal stout. FRANGELIC when they have it.
Also GREAT sandwiches. we go most wednesdays during mug club night. Most of our family has mugs there. (more into beer than I am).

also fun ride is to Vivant brewery. Also very good beer, Prolly better than founders. But I like to ride to both. We're lucky to have both!

If you're on stava - follow me there. I'll follow you if you're on.

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I'm not much of a beer fan... but when I do drink beer it's Founders. (most interesting man in the world) hehehe

Really I don't care for most beer
I have reviewed the above quote many many times and just dont understand it. :D

Seriously, welcome though. It is a good place here.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
omnivox42 said:
I have reviewed the above quote many many times and just dont understand it. :D

Seriously, welcome though. It is a good place here.
You've not seen the DOS XXX's beer commercials? Starring the most interesting man in the world?

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I got the reference. I just don't get the not a beer fan part. Does that really happen to people. Seems strange to me.

;-)

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do I delete my account? (or at least change the email to stop notices?)
User base here WAY TO SNARKY for my tastes. FEW are interested in sharing - more into snide comments.
While a few were trying to be helpful - it's hard to find their posts through the rubbish.

If anyone knows of a helpful friendly ride bike forum, please email me a link) [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.