Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Emma used to sit on the counter between the two technicians work stations in the little shop where she worked. They’d work around her and wrench on bikes while she ate her lunch rambling between bites about this and that. The younger tech was typically picky about his work area being tidy and irritable if inconvenienced. But he’d gently grab the toe of a dangling Five10 shoe and move a leg aside to get a bottom bracket press. Or reach beside Emm to grab a derailleur straightener hanging on the wall behind her. The senior tech was grumpy and known to bark at customers for being near let alone in the service area. He’d tell other employees not to touch his tools in a way that suggested keeping their digits depended upon following the directive. Yet, he’d work calmly as Emma spun a 15 mm spanner by the closed end on her finger. He’d even wait for her to finish talking before politely asking for the wrench to tighten a bolt on wheels hub snuggly into a frame.

As lunch or break would concluded Emma would hop to her feet from the counter with a bounce. She’d leave the two techs to their duties and with her some happiness and sunshine would follow toward the sales floor where her work was carried out.

In the service area the younger tech would often have a laugh once again about something she had said. The senior technician at times would look around the service department with a strange longing. It was as if he had misplaced a tool or even forgotten which tool he needed. The truth is he was wishing Emma come back and talk some more. They’d look at tickets she wrote up and gently ask about the lack of detail of what needed be done to the bike. Never would either ever ask how she could find time to nickname the cycle and write down a future goal it had but couldn’t be bothered to note if it was a front or rear brake service. Or did “Fast Sally Green” a small green race bike need a full tune up or super tune up with new cables and housing so she could “someday finish the Tour Of Colorado fast enough to earn Bronze Status”? Was a question asked calmly and never snapped. They loved her whimsical glowing personality so much that they never dared try to change her.

When Emma married to my surprise I was asked to stand at her side holding flowers in a dress a colour of her choosing. She was especially bright on that spring day and the several hundred guests who had come to see her worked at positions to catch her attention and time if just for even a small moment. For someone that everyday is your day it is no surprise that she handled a day which for all women belongs to them with grace and perfection. Her sister cried when Emm said she looked up to her in admiration of how great a mother she was. Her Father cried releasing her hand in the isle. Her shortly to be husband looked shocked when she said her vows. It was almost as if he never dreamed she’d actually go through with it. Not because she doesn’t follow through but because not even a handsome young doctor believed himself actually good enough. I will never believe it possible that a prettier bride could wear a more beautiful dress. Long flowing to the floor to hide her sneakers that wouldn’t have surprised a single person in attendance. The dress was the prettiest I’ve seen.

Married Emma worked less hours at the little bike shop. Then one day she took up volunteer work at a small charity doing their part to end homelessness. Something she still does and to my guess very well. The younger technician moved on to another larger shop shortly after. He claimed there was more potential for career growth but why all knew why he left. The senior tech became more grumpy and the reputation of the shop fell off. They had little wheel work and it was rarer they phoned me to stop in and lace a hoop or remove that last little hop.

When I left the United States I asked Emma if she would loan me some of her sunshine if just for a rainy day. She smiled her flawless smile hugged me and said, “what’s mine is yours!”.

It’s a rare hour in a day that I don’t think of her and always these thoughts make me smile. A few days ago I received a package. As always my way, the card was sought before the gift. The card reads “Just thinking of my best mate. Can’t send a smile or hug in the post but here is a box of sparkling sparkles!”

The box was filled with a glitter that went everywhere when I opened it. You didn’t read that wrong. It wasn’t confetti but just unbottled raw in the open tiny glitter. In the middle of all the sparkling glitter a shiny disco ball set shimmering. All the colours and light nearly as bright as Emma herself. A sticky note attached to the disco ball made me laugh. “Sorry I know you hate messes. But you’ve loved me since we met so some types of messes must make you happy!”

Building Clock Machine Automotive design Engineering

Above my work station at the bicycle shop where I am employed hangs the disco ball. If things aren’t going perfectly all it takes is a glance up and I can smile like a fool. Now If only I could ever clean up the glitter that seems to have found it’s way onto everything I own!

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
I feel so lucky to have access to sprockets spins here and honored to ride a bike associated with cwtch, even tho it wasn't hers. She must have ridden it at some point. She made it appear in my life and her spell flows out of it every time i ride it. There's a different kind of happy than riding my other bikes. It's my avatar for a reason.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel so lucky to have access to sprockets spins here and honored to ride a bike associated with cwtch, even tho it wasn't hers. She must have ridden it at some point. She made it appear in my life and her spell flows out of it every time i ride it. There's a different kind of happy than riding my other bikes. It's my avatar for a reason.
She rode it, that I guarantee. There isn’t anything that went thru that shop she didn’t throw a leg over and probably wheelie out the twin doors.

Thanks for sharing those feelings. I will send her a message letting her know. She’s a blessing to anyone’s world. Glad you have a connection.

I appreciate you and the whole community here. Always where I come home to.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you saying you also have a weird sense of humor? Now if you could get cwtch to posting again...
I can ask her. She is a little harder to get to sit still. Busy life. Helping the homeless a baby on the way and still shredding mtb tho much mellower with the bun in the oven.

I do have a weird sense of humour. 🤪

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
She rode it, that I guarantee. There isn’t anything that went thru that shop she didn’t throw a leg over and probably wheelie out the twin doors.

Thanks for sharing those feelings. I will send her a message letting her know. She’s a blessing to anyone’s world. Glad you have a connection.

I appreciate you and the whole community here. Always where I come home to.
Just got finished giving it new tires/rim strips/sealant, rotors, pads, bleed/new fluid, new chain and rebuilt/upgraded the fork. Tell cwtch it is well cared for and still mucho appreciated....it sleeps indoors in the breakfast room.....with part of the herd, lol.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The grandkids are all doing good. I don’t see them as often now. They have a new house about an hour away.
View attachment 53736
That’s great. That’s a cycling team you have there!!
Sorry they are about an hour away but hopefully the new house is well worth it.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got finished giving it new tires/rim strips/sealant, rotors, pads, bleed/new fluid, new chain and rebuilt/upgraded the fork. Tell cwtch it is well cared for and still mucho appreciated....it sleeps indoors in the breakfast room.....with part of the herd, lol.

View attachment 53739
Love the herd. Bikes and more bikes. It’s great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts