Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually ride predominantly for a short commute of six or seven miles round trip, but am interested in going farther, faster for exercise/fun/excitement, maybe even some sprint triathalons or something. But, most of the time, when I go much longer than 45-60 min on my Kona Dew Deluxe, my hands and elbows get numb and sore. Any silver bullets? I'm also considering dropping a load of cash for a new bike, possibly a recumbent trike for the commute + exercise, but am nervous (will I be comfortable?, will I use it enough?, etc). The only recumbent riding I've done is brief rides on stationary recumbents and I think I've experienced the 'recumbent butt' I believe it's called. Should I try to adjust the existing bike (I already have 1500+ miles on it), buy a good fitting road bike (or something), or will a recumbent solve all my problems?

·
1,809 Posts
You need to have your fit checked to make sure there isn't too much weight distribution on your hands. Padded gloves/ bar tape will help. Make sure you don't have a death grip on the bars and your elbows should be slightly bent and kind of loosey-goosey. You also want to vary your hand placement from various points on the tops, hoods, and drops. You could see a doc to check for carpal tunnel.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
It isn't uncommon for riders to get the pain you're experiencing of they are tight in the chest/shoulders. This will externally rotate the elbows and elevate the shoulders.

Bars that are too wide and a stem that us too long can contribute to this as can an increased need for erector/lat strength. Prone cobra holds, kneeling lat pull downs and shoulder mobility work will go a long way to help.

Send over a video of you riding a trainer and I break it down to see if I spot something. View from the front and back ideally.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd like to add....

When I bought my Madone, I was told to ride for a few weeks then come back for a pro fitting. I had trouble with stiff arms and numb hands, and the things I was adjusting were not what I should have been adjusting. Some things with bike fitting isn't intuitive. I did have some things adjusted correctly though! The things with the stem and bar height though, that I fiddled with actually were the opposite of what I needed to do. So have a good bike dude, get you up on a stand. I got some shims in my cleats that did wonders too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bike shop i bought the bike from seemed to have little to add aside from lowering the seat or raising the fork and didn't do any real 'fitting' like y'all are describing when i mentioned the problem to them. anybody know a good place to get it fitted in the north central or northeastern florida region (gainesville-ocala-jacksonville)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts