Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Who among us has the time, stamina or ego to ride a bicycle to work? Ego? When was the last time you saw a cyclist stop for a stop sign? Or wait his turn at the end of a line of cars backed up at an intersection? Besides, I'd look silly in cyclist couture. Imagine me in a Castelli Sorpasso bib tight cycling suit (available online for around $179.95 plus shipping). I've never paid that much for a real suit." ~ John McCarron

Read more...

·
Banned
430 Posts
Why does biking have to be so politicized? I never understood it. I've ridden bikes since I was a teen, and still vividly recall plenty of run ins with red-eyed fat ducks throwing things, opening car doors, yelling obscenities and "get off the road." When I see a bike on the road, I go around. Not that hard. There are people who will kill themselves to dodge a squirrel, but will try to hit a bicycle. I hear all kinds of political comments that America is becoming a third world country. Maybe so. But I thought bikes were cool in 3rd world countries.

·
Banned
430 Posts
I always laugh at the spandex rage comments too. If the same psycho bike haters see a hot babe in spandex or a track suit, they change their tune. (PS I get my bike shorts off the rack at Wongmart. They look a lot like basketball shorts! hahaha)

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Since the 'new millennium' bike advocacy bit got accelerated by Mr. Armstrong, and there is that sub-group that kits up and pacelines all over creation, everybody who chooses a bike is lumped into that elitist group by the ignorant masses. It doesn't matter if it's a middle-aged commuter on a Wally bike, a tattooed messenger in baggies and piercings, or a banker on a hybrid wearing Izod, we're all 'Lance wannabe's'. We all think we have squeeze our pansy little asses into tight shorts and go show off. . . apparently.

But, it's more basic than that, for the haters.

We don't embrace the constant use of the almighty auto, as is our American birthright; we actually CHOOSE to sweat outside the fitness club, we're not afraid to NOT be stylish. SOOOOOO, if we don't fully embrace the American stereotype lifestyle, we must be (gasp!) '[email protected]@0+s'. After ALL, we're sitting on skinny little seats that just HAVE to go up our asses, won't HOLD a REAL man's arse! We MUST like things 'up there'!

Now -- if you have actually followed that 'line of logic', then I have serious concerns about you; doesn't make a DAMNED bit of sense to me, I just recognize it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Since the 'new millennium' bike advocacy bit got accelerated by Mr. Armstrong, and there is that sub-group that kits up and pacelines all over creation, everybody who chooses a bike is lumped into that elitist group by the ignorant masses. It doesn't matter if it's a middle-aged commuter on a Wally bike, a tattooed messenger in baggies and piercings, or a banker on a hybrid wearing Izod, we're all 'Lance wannabe's'. We all think we have squeeze our pansy little asses into tight shorts and go show off. . . apparently.

But, it's more basic than that, for the haters.

We don't embrace the constant use of the almighty auto, as is our American birthright; we actually CHOOSE to sweat outside the fitness club, we're not afraid to NOT be stylish. SOOOOOO, if we don't fully embrace the American stereotype lifestyle, we must be (gasp!) '[email protected]@0+s'. After ALL, we're sitting on skinny little seats that just HAVE to go up our asses, won't HOLD a REAL man's arse! We MUST like things 'up there'!

Now -- if you have actually followed that 'line of logic', then I have serious concerns about you; doesn't make a DAMNED bit of sense to me, I just recognize it.
I'm assuming the logic you mean would be in your second paragraph?

While I'm sure Lance propelled cycling into overdrive and I get what you are saying, there are folks like me. When I started riding again I was ignorant of anything cycling up to and including Lance. I started quit blissfully on a a hybrid riding around the block with my wife after many years of no exercise and a rather nice smoking habit. When we bought our bikes and she said we had to get helmets and that I should look at padded shorts I told her there was no way I would EVER were those gay tight shorts! I did buy loose fit baggies and after that first 5 mile ride ( I'll never forget it as I thought I was gonna die...from 5 miles!) i was happy she talked me into them. As time went on I really enjoyed riding and would ride further and faster after my wife went home. I started wanting to go even faster and started looking at other options. I knew FOR SURE I did not want a road bike and looked at a Trek 7. something or other and was talked out of it and into a road bike. Turns out to be the best thing that happened in a long time. A couple of road bikes later and who knows how many miles, well I actually know how many miles - as it turns out I'm a data junkie too, I love group rides, pace lines and spandex. I really hate being lumped into an elitist group by the general public or fellow cyclist. It just happens I like to go as fast and hard as I can.

My riding a bike has nothing to do with not loving my cars and boats cuz I love both and don't have any plans on giving any of them up any time soon. They are just a part of practical life. I couldn't do my job, that allows me to pay for my cycling habits, without my gas guzzling 5.8 mpg Ford 550; ok so it's a company vehicle :) so I dont have a choice on the fuel economy but...

All this to say I am where I am today as part of a cycling evolution in my life and I was completely unware for a long time of any stigmas attached to cycling by the general public. I learned that as I got more involved ironically.

Lol, looking over this it would prolly fit better in the " What got you into cycling" posts :D

I dont mean this as a jab at you directly CT, although I get the feeling you have no love loss for roadies and cars and that's ok, like you I'm just expressing my opinion. If I could afford a good MTB I'd be there to.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Rola, I knew there was a reason I liked you. You just described by re-entry into cycling too a tee... even the loose fitting baggies.

While I'm sure Lance propelled cycling into overdrive and I get what you are saying, there are folks like me. When I started riding again I was ignorant of anything cycling up to and including Lance. I started quit blissfully on a a hybrid riding around the block with my wife after many years of no exercise and a rather nice smoking habit. When we bought our bikes and she said we had to get helmets and that I should look at padded shorts I told her there was no way I would EVER were those gay tight shorts! I did buy loose fit baggies and after that first 5 mile ride ( I'll never forget it as I thought I was gonna die...from 5 miles!) i was happy she talked me into them. As time went on I really enjoyed riding and would ride further and faster after my wife went home. I started wanting to go even faster and started looking at other options. I knew FOR SURE I did not want a road bike and looked at a Trek 7. something or other and was talked out of it and into a road bike. Turns out to be the best thing that happened in a long time. A couple of road bikes later and who knows how many miles, well I actually know how many miles - as it turns out I'm a data junkie too, I love group rides, pace lines and spandex. I really hate being lumped into an elitist group by the general public or fellow cyclist. It just happens I like to go as fast and hard as I can.

My riding a bike has nothing to do with not loving my cars and boats cuz I love both and don't have any plans on giving any of them up any time soon. They are just a part of practical life. I couldn't do my job, that allows me to pay for my cycling habits, without my gas guzzling 5.8 mpg Ford 550; ok so it's a company vehicle :) so I dont have a choice on the fuel economy but...

All this to say I am where I am today as part of a cycling evolution in my life and I was completely unware for a long time of any stigmas attached to cycling by the general public. I learned that as I got more involved ironically.

Lol, looking over this it would prolly fit better in the " What got you into cycling" posts :D

I dont mean this as a jab at you directly CT, although I get the feeling you have no love loss for roadies and cars and that's ok, like you I'm just expressing my opinion. If I could afford a good MTB I'd be there to.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts

No jabs at me, rola... but I have to tell you:

SWING AND A MISS, STRIKE ONE!

It's not about what got anyone into cycling -- it started with the crap comments of some radio ass, and salvage's observation that cycling (not just advocacy, but cycling ITSELF) has become politicized. I was giving my point of view on that.

Personally, yes, I dislike cars; but I don't expect ANYONE to throw away their keys and jump on a bike. It was MY choice, and mine alone. If someone else decides it's best for their own life, then I congratulate them on wanting to enhance their life. If not, okay, just don't run me over when you're driving.

Nor do I have anything against roadies (except that some think they're better than me just because they ride a 17-lb bike and I don't); I was illustrating the bigoted point of view of the ignorant masses.

The point that was being put forth by Mr. RadioAss was one of polarizing people into camps for V. against cycling, and much like so many other issues, it gets political. I illustrated what I think OTHER PEOPLE believe, based on my experiences...NOT what I believed about the subject.

I have a problem with people who think that the gas-guzzling, wastefully gouging lifestyle embraced today as "the American Way"; "subdue the earth" as said in Scripture does NOT, as they believe, carte blanche to lay waste to the planet! We were and are meant to be stewards of the world, not its rapists.

The stats are overwhelming about the benefits of riding a bike for various purposes -- errands under 3-5 miles, for example -- yet the vocal ones out there want us all to believe that it's all crap, an emasculation of America, to be sensible about our lives.

THEY are the ones I have issue with.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Okay, I gave my boy some game time, now I can finish my thoughts.

Let me relate to you, rola, on cycling origins. Not trying to one-up, or anything....

A church youth group, weeklong bike trip in 1974 set me up for my life at present; my main motivator then was getting time away from my mother, but it introduced me to a world I had no idea existed. A loaner 10-speed Schwinn, later bought for me in a rare moment of generosity, put me on the path. I spent a week of awakening on that bike!

That same bike was my steed when I searched for (and FOUND!) my 'lost' father; my mother had effectively shut him out of my life because of her hate, but I overrode that (no pun intended). I reunited with him while standing over the top tube of that bike.

I commuted to my first job on that bike. I all but wept when, a year or so later, that same bike came up dismembered from theft while being used by my best friend.

Fast-forward, now, almost 25 stupid, bike-bereft years, to the summer of 2000....

I took a position with my employer as a bike assembler; I was trained by a certified mechanic, whose own riding passion re-ignited mine! (I have since surpassed him, both in wrench skills and riding passion, since he won't ride in temps below 50F) My driving started to go WAY down during this time, as I commuted by bike more and more. In '04, my last car was GONE. I now commute by bike to work something near 220 days per year (out of a possible 250, allowing for vacations), and take the bus during icy times.

Riding with my kids is a major three-season recreational activity; so is the loooonngg solo ride on my mid-week day off. I set no speed records, track no stats, I just ride. Someone else has the philosophy of "SMILES, NOT MILES!", which I find inspiring! I ride MTB exclusively, but what others ride is perfectly fine. HOW they ride can sometimes be an issue, since I don't want to pay the price for their idiocy.............. All in all, every time I see someone else on a bike, it warms my heart just a little bit more, truly!

The knee-jerk polarization of others is a source of frustration for me; drivers, I DON'T REALLY CARE IF YOU NEVER PEDAL A STROKE, BUT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO ABUSE ME FOR MY CHOICE! IT'S NOT 'YOUR' ROAD! When they reach the point of personal peace and contentment in which they can truly 'live and let live', all our arguments will end.

EDIT: we really need a 'smiley' for a PEACE PIPE............lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
CTD50 I think you hit the nail on the head. Freedom and respect. Freedom to choose when you want to and how you ride, and respect for those that may not agree with you. Arguments will not end though. That's just part of the human condition any more than we will never reach or even get close to Utopia. Human nature will not allow it.

I think an awful lot of us got our first taste of freedom on a bike, and that first chance to explore a small part of what is a very big world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's MTB? Sorry, I'm out of touch with the lingo.... LBS i think I've got figured out.
As for this discussion, I ride for transport and to please myself, which includes limited use of fossil fuel and great respect for the environment (hey, no environment no us...). It's hard sometimes to deal with folks who have wrapped themselves in limitation, I'm thinking the ones who don't think they should share the road, and that I'm in their way, and who are afraid of any difference of lifestyle. I'm just trying to get along.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
What's MTB? Sorry, I'm out of touch with the lingo.... LBS i think I've got figured out.
No need to apologize. MTB is a shortening for mountain bike. LBS is local bike shop.

I like the discussion here, guys. Great points and great stories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts