Spandex

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Centro, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Centro

Centro Guest

I currently have a pair of p i that are ok but they are they are cheaper ones, not sure of the model. I was wondering if somebody on here could recommend a nice pair of shorts or bibs for that matter. I've heard the ultra sensors are good but are there other brands i should look into? Thanks for your help!

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I love the Pearl Izumi stuff. I have the less expensive ones cuz unfortunatly, none of them are cheap. I also have the more expensive ones. I actually prefer the former.

What don't you like about the PI's that makes you want to switch?

3. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Brands don't matter too much, as long as they fit.
    You'll find that the more panels they have the better they fit and more expensive they are, which is generally the big difference in all of them.

I like Primal Wear and Adidas myself.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I dunno about that. Performance brand shorts kill me on long rides. I have also seen shorts with foam type chamois which I've never tried, but seems to me it would be like riding with a sponge between your legs.

5. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

You don't get a foam pad in the better quality multi-panel shorts. :)

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I actually have a pair of some of the most expensive bibs you can buy. I have the Assos F.I. 13s. They are actually my least favorite. The cut is just too tight for me, and I can only stand them for about 1.5 hours, 2 tops. I have been told since, that you should buy one size larger than your other bibs/shorts for the Assos stuff. Maybe that would help.

My favorite bibs so far have been the Castelli Y-Pro, with the only small complaint being how high they come up on the stomach.

7. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I have a PI P.R.O. bib and I love it! I also have a pair of attack shorts that are almost as good but about half the price, and a couple of cheaper shorts from other companies that I hardly ever wear after getting my Pearl Izumi gear.

8. VeloBliss

VeloBliss Guest

I would say that the best short/bib is going to vary by person. That being said, I definitely recommend bibs as they avoid elastic marks around the waist and do a better job of keeping the shorts and padding in place. My personal favorite brand is Gore for the bibs. The first time I rode in the Gore had me hooked. I still have some PI, and they are also good quality (I recommend looking that the Attack level or higher for an avid cyclist... the Slice model seems like a pretty good combo of price and performance and I have been happy with my PI Slice Bibs)

9. sausagetree

sausagetree Guest

How can you try them on, since most bike shops have no dressing room? :)

Are there some other stores that have them beside bike places?