Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Too Much Good Food
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my second set of these tires for my Trek road bike (first set for this bike - replacing the OEM set). I had a set on my Specialized road bike that went with the bike when I sold it. I had ridden about 2,000 miles on the Specialized when I sold it and had not had a flat.

What does everyone else think about these tires? They seem to be very close in handling and ride quality to the OEM tires. I am not a super fast rider and I weigh 200 pounds.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Personally I've never ridden these tires. I've had a set of conti gator skins for about 5 months now riding at least 10 miles a day, more on the days off of work, and have yet to flat though. Knock on wood. Ha maybe I'll give the specialized a try next set

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I dont have a set of armadillos, but do ride their Espoir tires with Black Belt protection.

They must work because I have been forced to roll over some really sketchy things and the tires are still going fine. Only one flat and it was not a tire failure. I still do not know why I lost air that day. Perhaps i forgot to close the presta valve before setting off.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I have heard, from friends of mine that have them, that those are pretty good puncture resistant tires. I have not used them, but like curry, I have Conti Gatorskins. The current set has over 4,000 miles on them and no flats. I ride MUPs, city streets and country roads with all sorts of debris on them. I do pay a lot of attention to the road in front of me and try to avoid anything that may cause a flat. I know that it's just a matter of time until my number comes up.

·
Too Much Good Food
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A recent flat is what motivated me to pony up for these tires. I rode the OEMs till the first flat and decided to upgrade. Luckily, I was closer to home and I could call for someone to bring along the truck and pick me up.

·
32 Posts
Specialized Espoir Sport w/double BlackBelt Puncture Protection, 700x23c

·
215 Posts
I've only ridden on the Specialized Armadillo All Condition road tires. The plus is their very flat resistant, I only had one flat in 15,000 miles of using those tires (not 15,000 on one set!). That flat came as a result of literally riding on the cords. But I use to live in Goathead city, and no tire or combination of tire and liner would totally stop a goathead...the Armadillos did! Con is their sluggish feeling due to their weight, at the time I used them they were in the 600 gram range, I think their newer ones are about 125 grams lighter. But I knew the 2001 RAAM 4 person team won the RAAM using those tires! So they must not have been too slow. Also these tires will out last any other tire on the market except for maybe the Schwalbe Marathon tires.

If flats are a huge concern then get those tires, there isn't a better flat resistant tire on the market unless you get the Schwalbe Marathon but their freaking heavy. But keep in mind, no tire is flat proof so always be prepared by carrying patches, spare tube, and an pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts