Specialized

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by IanHighfield, Dec 13, 2009.

1. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Today I rode my bother's Specialized Allez double. (I think I have that name correct) It's an entry level alloy bike. What a surprise it was. Very stiff, light, and very tight in handling. It had 25mm slicks and was set up in a neutral way with the bars level with the seat.

This bike could be made to travel, I think. Does anyone own one of these? And how do you like it?

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I don't own the Allez, but I own the Roubaix SL2. Best bike I've ridden! Fast and smooth and very comfortable for all day riding, yet it still can fly. My previous bikes were more racing oriented Looks (585 and 595). I couldn't ever get comfortable on those. I guess the SL2 can be considered a race bike too, though, since Boonen won Paris-Roubaix on it (and cocaine) the last 2 years.

3. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Xela, I've ridden the Tarmac and thought it excellent. Have ridden a Madone and thought it a bundle of sticks. The Madone flexed way too much. I'm not that heavy (155lbs) and I cannot imagine a fellow of more than that weight standing on this bike's pedals.

I rode a top element Madone in a test run of 10 miles. Bike was reset for me. It was about 90 seconds slower over this distance from what I usually ride. And it's (the Madone) a lighter machine. Felt like I was churning porridge with my feet so soft was the rear triangle on a rise of any kind. I rarely get out of the saddle and could still bend that thing too much for my liking.

Doesn't Lance Armstrong ride this frame? His must be a different product than the commercial version. Can't believe any rider of his pedigree would make a mark on the Madone as I rode.

The Tarmac was a different story. Stiff, stiff, stiff. That's all I look for in a bike. I don't care how it feels on the road so much as how it holds together when I spur it.

I ride a carbon fibre custom by a man named Richards. I work for him. It's a tad heavier than most CF bikes but it rides like a piece of crystal. Not as fragile - as stiff.

Many of the new bikes on the market are very usable. I was very surprised by the Madone's lack of backbone.

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Ianhighfield....I have a 2008 Allez Elite and I love. I test road a coupl of Tarmacs before I bought and still went with the Allez. Bicycling Mag just did a comparison article between the Allez and the Tarmac back in October (I think). You can catch a video at Bicycling: Specialized's Aluminum Allez vs. Its Carbon Tarmac to check out the comparison.

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Nothing wrong with an alloy bike. It's stiffness that counts. Then lightness.

If all I had was a Specialized alloy frame I would not feel sorry for myself.

Thanks for the vid connection.

6. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Yesterday I went out and bought a white 58cm Allez Sport. Not a lot of money for what I feel is the best commercial road bike I've ever tried. I race with team equipment and do not have to purchase anything but had to have one of these Specialized aluminum bikes after riding my brother's.

It's got smallish drive rings at 50/34 but this is okay with me. I'm using this bike mainly as a general around town commuter. If it did not bother my team boss I'd use this frame in the classic division of our trialling series so impressed I am with its rear triangle stiffness. Bits are low end but work fine. Weight is 20 pounds 4 ounces. Advertised weight is 17.68 pounds. Never trust a piece of advertisement.

Anyone have an opinion of the Specialized 23mm Mondo slick tyres this bike comes equipped with? I plan on wearing these out and then switching to 25s. I like a little beefier tyre for general riding.

7. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I am SO thrilled to read your post Ian! I just put a Allez Sport on Layaway yesterday.

8. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

The best part is knowing you paid less than 900 US dollars for a bike that feels superior (to me) than anything 3X as expensive.

What size and what color?

9. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

52 CM, Red. Had to order the size, no big, it will take me a while to pay in full. I looked at several used on Craigslist, rode a few rentals, and tried out different ones as well. This one was in my budget, felt right for me. Im not a racer, and ride a Crosstrail all over the place. I Just wanted a second bike in case my knee holds up (running is giving me problems) to do a mini triathlon and wanted a faster bike for that and riding longer distances.