Two Spoke Forums banner

Speeding on a bike?

17K views 108 replies 20 participants last post by  froze 
#1 ·
If a cop pulls you over for speeding on your bike, you're obviously going to get a ticket. But what happens if you dont have a license? What happens if you dont carry any form of ID? Or the only form of ID that you have is a school ID? What happens then? Will you still get ticketed?

#3 ·
My dad once watched a guy get a ticket for running a stop sign. No not on a bike. Not in a car. He was walking, pushing a lawn mower. Pushed that lawn mower right through that stop sign and got a ticket. Course back then he got a cut of the ticket money and so the judge, but guess who wasn't re elected either.

Yet getting a ticket is easy. Paying for them is the hard part.

#4 ·
My dad once watched a guy get a ticket for running a stop sign. No not on a bike. Not in a car. He was walking, pushing a lawn mower. Pushed that lawn mower right through that stop sign and got a ticket. Course back then he got a cut of the ticket money and so the judge, but guess who wasn't re elected either.

Yet getting a ticket is easy. Paying for them is the hard part.
Okay, I have to ask. Are you saying that your dad got a "cut" of all of the tickets that were handed out where you live? As that is what it appears that you are saying.

#8 ·
I usually bring along my kid for ID. He'll point and say "That's my dad".
What if the kid knows your holding a gun on him and you forced him to say that?

Cops do accept school ID, and most if not all schools now use photo id's. I just went down to my motor vehicles office and paid $15 for a photo state ID. You can also save your old drivers license too if your state will let you keep it, some states may punch a hole in it but it still is good enough for cops.

#9 ·
For the record my dad knew the constable. It was the constable that got a percentage of every single ticket they wrote back then. It was about the same as working on commission. The justice of the peace and sheriff IIRC were the same way. The Sheriff might have been tasked with running the department on the fines, but he got no salary. What wasn't used for the expenses was theirs.

At first blush it was an incentive to see that the officers got out and work, but in practice it lead to real problems and was discontinued decades ago. Yet my dad really saw a guy get a ticket for pushing a lawn mower through a stop sign

#10 ·
True, and in some states you could be cited, or even arrested, for failure to provide identification. As far as I know cops will accept a school ID as proof of identification as long as it's a picture ID.
There is no law as far as I know that requires one to carry any form of ID on them. The only law/requirement is that when one is stopped by a member of the law enforcement community, that they ID themselves when asked. That can be as simple as giving the LEO your name, address and SSN if asked, or by showing them your drivers license (if one drives) or state ID, school ID, military ID.

It is also my understanding that if said member of the law enforcement community has reason to believe that you are being deceitful in the information that you have given them that they can detain you until they have ascertained that the information is correct.

#12 ·
Actually if I understand correctly a non citizen is required to have documents on them proving their authorization to be in the country at all times and this is a federal requirement
Never heard of that. No one in New Zealand or Australia ever asked for any documents from me, and while all my Aussies have been in contact with the police for various things, not once have they been asked for more than ID.

The undocumented immigrant that ran into my car was given a ticket and sent on his way.

#14 ·
True, and in some states you could be cited, or even arrested, for failure to provide identification. As far as I know cops will accept a school ID as proof of identification as long as it's a picture ID.

Actually what most of you don't realize is that you ARE NOT required by law to have any form of ID on you as long as your an American citizen, not driving a car of course, or go into a bar, or buy something at a store that requires ID. All your required to do is give them is your name and address. Your social security number does not need to be given since it was never intended for ID purposes anyway. With today's computers they will check your address to make sure the name you gave them matches, if you give false information they will arrest you.

#15 ·
There is no law as far as I know that requires one to carry any form of ID on them. The only law/requirement is that when one is stopped by a member of the law enforcement community, that they ID themselves when asked. That can be as simple as giving the LEO your name, address and SSN if asked, or by showing them your drivers license (if one drives) or state ID, school ID, military ID.

It is also my understanding that if said member of the law enforcement community has reason to believe that you are being deceitful in the information that you have given them that they can detain you until they have ascertained that the information is correct.
My statement was you could be cited or arrested. Depends on where you live. Check your local/state laws.

#16 ·
Actually what most of you don't realize is that you ARE NOT required by law to have any form of ID on you as long as your an American citizen, not driving a car of course, or go into a bar, or buy something at a store that requires ID. All your required to do is give them is your name and address. Your social security number does not need to be given since it was never intended for ID purposes anyway. With today's computers they will check your address to make sure the name you gave them matches, if you give false information they will arrest you.
See post above. And if you think you couldn't see this>Street-level bureaucracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#17 ·
See post above. And if you think you couldn't see this>Street-level bureaucracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok, I read the site, but what does that have to do with laws? If the law does not require (at least at this time) that you carry ID while walking or riding a bike how does street bureaucracy effect that? It doesn't. The law is the law till it's changed then it becomes a new law. The site you gave says nothing about carrying ID.

Maybe I missed the point of the site, perhaps you can explain what you read into it.

I do believe that in the near future all people are going to be required to carry a state or possibly a federal ID at all times, but this could take about 15 years or so to implement, maybe sooner if a another major national problem occurs.

#18 · (Edited)
Ok, I read the site, but what does that have to do with laws? If the law does not require (at least at this time) that you carry ID while walking or riding a bike how does street bureaucracy effect that? It doesn't. The law is the law till it's changed then it becomes a new law. The site you gave says nothing about carrying ID.

Maybe I missed the point of the site, perhaps you can explain what you read into it.

I do believe that in the near future all people are going to be required to carry a state or possibly a federal ID at all times, but this could take about 15 years or so to implement, maybe sooner if a another major national problem occurs.
What it has to do with law is simply this. It all comes down to the cop on the street. Policy and law may say one thing but it's the cop who enforces the law and ultimately decides how it's enforced. Ever hear of racial profiling? If a cop decides, for whatever reason ,that you need to go to jail, such as he doesn't like your response when you tell him you don't have to carry an ID, well guess what? You're going to jail. Right or wrong it does matter you're going to jail and the courts can work it out latter. Want to take a guess which side the court will take? Doesn't matter if the cop is wrong because you're still behind bars. That is Street Level Bureaucracy. The person who enforces the law is the one who decides what the law is.

#19 ·
What it has to do with law is simply this. It all comes down to the cop on the street. Policy and law may say one thing but it's the cop who enforces the law and ultimately decides how it's enforced. Ever hear of racial profiling? If a cop decides, for whatever reason ,that you need to go to jail, such as he doesn't like your response when you tell him you don't have to carry an ID, well guess what? You're going to jail. Right or wrong it does matter you're going to jail and the courts can work it out latter. Want to take a guess which side the court will take? Doesn't matter if the cop is wrong because you're still behind bars. That is Street Level Bureaucracy. The person who enforces the law is the one who decides what the law is.
I see it all the time near where I live. Drive through the rich neighborhood in a rusty car, or if you're black at 3 over, you get a ticket. Blast through there at 20 over in your BMW, have a nice day. Sad really.

#20 ·
A cop could run a person to jail for not having ID, problem is is just harassment because the as soon as the law is verified that the person doesn't need ID he's released AFTER they confirm his identity with no charges.

Yes it is sad about racial problems, we're all one race, God's race.

In reality even if we were all the same identical color there would be something found that would make one group of purple people better then the other group of purple people for whatever reason our sick minds can create.

#21 ·
A cop could run a person to jail for not having ID, problem is is just harassment because the as soon as the law is verified that the person doesn't need ID he's released AFTER they confirm his identity with no charges.

Yes it is sad about racial problems, we're all one race, God's race.

In reality even if we were all the same identical color there would be something found that would make one group of purple people better then the other group of purple people for whatever reason our sick minds can create.
Animal Farm- George Orwell

#22 ·
Uh, if a person doesn't have a drivers license what computer/database are they going to look in to verify that a person lives where they say that they live? And I can't remember the last time that I was asked for ID when I went to a bar. Most stores have signs that let the customers know that if they're under 45 (how they came up with that age I don't know) expect to be carded.

I guess the bottom line is that depending on where one is going if one looks like they're old enough they don't get carded, if they look "too young" they'll get carded.

#23 ·
My statement was you could be cited or arrested. Depends on where you live. Check your local/state laws.
Please cite a city/county or state law that requires a citizen to carry ID on them 24/7. As how/where is say a nudist suppose to carry an ID? Also if we took this to it's "logical" end one would be required to "carry" an ID on them even when they're in the bed asleep or while they're in the shower. Neither of which I think is really a good idea.

Also do you really think that the homeless population carries ID?

I do not drive, I am old enough that I do not get carded when I buy alcohol, or cigarettes (if I smoked). The only ID that I carry is my VA ID. It does not have either my SSN or my address on it. And without a warrant of some sort the VA isn't likely to give out any information about me.

Even though a LEO may have my VA ID, the VA (to the best of my knowledge will neither confirm or deny that I am seen at a particular facility.

#24 ·

Uh, correct me if I'm mistaken, but can't just about anyone add or delete any information from any article that has been posted at Wikipedia? If so why should we have any faith in any article that is posted to Wikipedia?

I agree with you being leery of anything that you've read there.

#25 ·
I'm guessing that you've never heard of a certain case in NYC where a rookie cop who had "decided" that a person "needed" to go to jail ended up getting fired or resigned (I can't remember which right now) because video surfaced that proved that EVERYTHING that he testified to in his report(s) was a tissue of lies.

The person that he "decided" who needed to go to "jail" was a cyclist who was taking part in a CM ride. And the rookie cop claimed that the cyclist had attempted to run into him on his bike. But the video that surfaced proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did not ride at him, but that the rookie cop stepped into him and basically body slammed the cyclist to the ground.

#26 ·
I see it all the time near where I live. Drive through the rich neighborhood in a rusty car, or if you're black at 3 over, you get a ticket. Blast through there at 20 over in your BMW, have a nice day. Sad really.
There was a case in Tampa (I'd read about at another web site) where a minor was stopped by the TPD because he was riding his bike on a public trail. The only reason that he was stopped is because he was riding the type of bike that "drug runners" ride. The cops searched him when they stopped him (being that he is/was a minor that's a violation of the law as they need either his parents or a child advocate present to do so) and all they found was a pipe and a very small amount of pot.

Given that he was a minor and not only the stop but the search were illegal nothing that they found could be used against either the kid or his supplier. As it was all "fruit of the poisoned tree." There are similar "cases" like that that get kicked because a LEO didn't have probable cause to stop someone let alone search them.

Which is why I keep my pannier bags secured with a luggage lock. If I'm stopped and the LEO asks if they can search my bags, my answer will be, no. If you want to search my bags get a search warrant.

Also by keeping my bags locked IF they were to search my bags I know that there isn't anything to be found in them. That would justify them in taking me in.

Also several years ago, I was stopped by an off duty cop, who had started out with "you and your clubs need to. . ." He then switched to "I'm sick and tired to scraping your brains off of the street." When I pointed out to him that under the law that cyclists did have the right to take the lane he threatened to seize my bike on the spot. He didn't, and he was also unprofessional in that he had mentioned another person that as it turned out I happen to know. Who in a 7 to 8 year period had racked close to 100 moving violations.

His whole stop and reason for stopping me was unprofessional. But at the end of the stop he let me go and did not seize my bike. Which might have had something to do with the fact that I stayed astride it the entire time that he was talking to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.