speedometer help.

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by chaser334, Aug 7, 2010.

1. chaser334

chaser334 New Member

Hello all. im new to this forum so please excuse anything that seems a little nubish of me. Anyhow i was wondering if anyone could recomend a good speedometer to put on my bike that could tell me how many miles i have ridden in one trip, and possibly time my ride. Almost every day i ride 6 miles of a 12 mile trail and i would like to know the exact distance i travel and how fast i do it. Occasionally i ride the entire 12 miles but only about 2 times a week. Once i know my time id like to try to improve upon it every ride

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

On two of my bikes I have Bell units thay are about $20, wireless and have many funtions, speed, distance, time, ood, cal, fat, temp, and more. You can find them at Wallmart. My .02

3. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

I'm real happy with a Strada Catseye (Catseye Strada?). Speedometer, 2 trip odometers, cadence meter, timer, max and average speed. Installation takes some attention (but if you cant follow the English instructions it comes with French, Danish, Portuguese, etc). Seriously though, easy to read even in bright light. Very easy to change functions, single click.

4. froze

froze Banned

I knew a couple of folk who had trouble with the Bell computers. Why bother with a cheap brand wireless when you can get a good brand wired computer for under $20? A quick look at Amazon.com revealed 5 top brand computers for under $20. 1) Topeak Panoram V9 $17; 2) Vetta RT233 $17; 3) Vetta RT Classic $18; 4) Planet Bike Protege 5.0 $18; and 5) Sigma BC909 $20. Just look at each and get the one with the features and or price that appeals to you.

Wireless computers are great if their not the cheap ones. Reliability of a cheap wireless is about 1 to 2 years, plus the battery in the sending unit will last about 6 months, plus their a tad more hassle to install...but a wired job is also a hassle routing the wire. The best way to route the wire that I've found without having to resort to zip ties is to wrap the wire up the fork to the brake then around the brake cable to the bar, under the bar wrap to the computer. Make sure you leave enough slack so you can turn your handlebars from one extreme to the other so as not to pull the wire.

see this site for more details on installing a wired computer: How to Install a Wired Bike Computer | eHow.com