Speedplay Frog Pedals

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by itself, Oct 21, 2009.

1. itself

itself New Member

I love these pedals, but have problems with them releasing when it is very inconvenient. Speedplay is working on the problem, and there is a PDF available on how to fix the cleats by gluing in a rubber inner tube.

I'm working with their tech people to solve the problem. Although I have ordered some eggbeaters to see how I like them. Not sure those will have enough float for my knees.

Lisa

2. Michigander

Michigander Member

Even in Michigan, which sees some really severe mud, I've almost never had trouble simply using the cheapest SPD pedals I can find. Usually hand me downs from someone who didn't like the pedals their bike came with. I can think of only one time I got stuck, and that was with my old pair of Icons that came with my Klein.

When I was living in the valley, my SPD's were about as reliable as a hammer. Definitely wouldn't over think pedal reliability in Arizona, particularly the hotter, drier parts.

3. itself

itself New Member

I love SPDs, but my knees don't! As I just went back to SPDs, I am going to try to tweek some adjustments with the angle of the cleat to see if it makes a difference.

Lisa

4. Michigander

Michigander Member

I've had knee trouble myself, specifically tendinitis, and torn up cartilage from a broken leg, and I've mostly fixed it with stretches and glucosamine and chondroiten. (spelling?)

I'm not sure what yur situation is, but if it's nothing too extreme, you might be able to treat your body instead of your bike. :confused:

5. itself

itself New Member

Yes, you are right. I take Cosamin DS, the best and most researched glucosamin/chondrotin product on the market. I have been icing the knees and taking some ibuprofen.

Lisa