1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
For the most part I agree with their suggestions.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 2 I would agree the most with would be about the shoes and bibs. I was slightly surprised about the tubes and helmets. Although I don't consider myself a serious weight weenie I do consider it even when buying tubes when the price difference doesn't break the bank. I don't think I have ever seen a 5 dollar inner tube.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I think the 2 I would agree the most with would be about the shoes and bibs. I was slightly surprised about the tubes and helmets. Although I don't consider myself a serious weight weenie I do consider it even when buying tubes when the price difference doesn't break the bank. I don't think I have ever seen a 5 dollar inner tube.
Over the past two months I have given my spare tube away to six different guys standing on the side of the road cursing their spare tube that wouldn't hold air. Did they have a $5 tube? Don't know but they were all miles from home wondering what they were going to do. In all cases my Conti race 700 tube got them back on the road. For me, I'm going to spend whatever it takes for a tube that works when I need it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a 5 dollar inner tube.
Reggie's, the local Trek dealer, sells them for I think it's $4.65, so that with tax it works out to exactly $5.00. So they do still exist. (If you want the long presta valve it's $6.00)

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
I've seen plenty of tubes that have different boxes and brands only to find the same tube inside - all the same markings, manufacture name, etc. Multiple LBS here in Indy sell tubes right around $5.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen plenty of tubes that have different boxes and brands only to find the same tube inside - all the same markings, manufacture name, etc. Multiple LBS here in Indy sell tubes right around $5.
I had to go look and see what I had in the garage. 3 tubes on the shelf. 1 Bontrager standard (2 standard if you count the one in my saddle bag) and 2 Bontrager Race X Lite. Standard had a price tag of $6.99 and the Race X Lite's are $9.99. I thought that was reasonable compared to say latex :D

I stay loyal to the LBS for purchases like this so if it's a buck or so more I won't quibble...I know it adds up and besides I save in the long staying local

1 - 8 of 8 Posts