Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TdYB saved my ass today. Almost crushed by 2 cars because some tool spilled asphalt sealer in the intersection and no one would let me go around it so i had to go through it. tires and brakes coated as is my bike, shoes etc.

Crazy left knee pain that I rode 14 miles home on.

Eyes are crossed.

Will post details tomorrow.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Anything that will take it off the brake pads, tires, shoes, might ruin the rubber and other synthetic materials. :(

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Better that You get to clean the bike than someone cleaning You off the road!:eek:
That said, I don't envy the job any.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
If you know the name of the company (was the truck marked in any way?) call them and ask for them to replace what was damaged. At least for parts.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Buffalo-jon said:
If you know the name of the company (was the truck marked in any way?) call them and ask for them to replace what was damaged. At least for parts.
Second that

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the story.

Coming out of work, there's 2 lane, one goes straight, up and over an overpass, the right lane veers on to the highway the goes under the overpass. I'm coming thtrough the intersection on the right side of the left lane, since the right lane veers sharply on to the highway and there's no room to move over to the lane that goes over the highway.

As I am coming through, I have a tailgating Jeep Cherokee behind me and some other car on the right. We have the green and I see a 5 gallon spilled bucket of asphalt sealer. I'm trying to wave people back so I can slow, stop, whatever I can do, but being the ****sticks they are they don't back off. I ride through, and holy ****, was it like riding on ice. MY front wheel goes one way, the rear another, I had the whole bike crossed up a few times. I unclipped my left foot and kept dabbing to keep myself upright, remember, I cannot stop because of the cars.

Any of you that have riddena motorcycle in sugar sand or deep mud will know that you keep your weight and on the rear and keep the power on with a loose grip; the motorcycle always finds it way if you stay loose and let it do the work. I figured I might have the same luck by pedaling with one leg but the rear was so slick i couldn't put any power down. Eventually i slip and slip my way over to the shoulder of the overpass, and my bike, shoes, saddlebag, camelbak MULE, bibs and jersey are covered in it. MY braking surface, tires, calipers, EVERYTHING is slick as snot. I used a rock I found on the shoulder to try and scuff up my tires, didn't do anything.

I tweaked my left knee which started to swell, but the lovely city of Aberdeen (shithole), MD has a moratorium on new cell towers, so I had no cell service to call my wife (who had my car with the rack on the roof) to come get me. I rode home, with my brakes on most of the way to try and burn/rub most of the crap off. Problem is, going home is mostly hills, if I put too much power in to the pedals, the rear would kick out.

I pushed through my knee pain until about mile 9 (out of 14) when I had to stop for a few minutes. I eventually got home and brought the bike in to the basement via the walkout side doors. My basement smells like a freshly sealed driveway.

My kit is toast, that much I know for sure. My friend's bike shop has a degreaser/bike wash station that you can rent for 15 minute blocks, I think I may do that to avoid having to do the clean up at my place and dispose of all of the rags, etc.

I'm more pissed about my left knee, I had the crit on Saturday that I now have to back out of, plus I'm in pain. I'm pretty sure the lateral meniscus is torn as my knee is now locking and buckling at random times. Oh and let's not forget the constant pins and needles I have in my left foot.

What REALLY angers me is that there was a guy at the corner watching what was going on, in obvious construction work clothes. Afte rI nearly dump it, he casually walks away. When my wife left, the entire spill was covered with gravel, so it isn't like no one knew what happened.

I've had a lot of near misses the past few weeks and I am REALLY, REALLY thinking about getting a trike to commute on.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Follow-up to a comment. . .

No, there wasn't a truck there and there are so many contractors working on the roads around there it could have been at least 6 (that I saw) different companies, plus it is possible some paving company was driving through the intersection and the bucket dropped.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Follow-up to a comment. . .

No, there wasn't a truck there and there are so many contractors working on the roads around there it could have been at least 6 (that I saw) different companies, plus it is possible some paving company was driving through the intersection and the bucket dropped.
maybe that whole idea of bike cameras isn't just for kooky drivers, but D-bags who do this stuff as well. I hate to get caught up in the "I have it on film so I'll sue everybody" mentallity but when my kids do something stupid it always seems that I have to pony up. Somebody in that situation is wrong they should have had that bucket secured. With the exception of your knee, it seems like it wouldn't be a hugh issue for them to pay for the bike parts they ruined. I think I would call the town just in case. I'm sure if a car went through and ruined his paint he would be calling.

Note: when my son was younger he and his friends decided to play "ghost rider" on thier bikes. You jump off and see how far your bike travels. well as you might have guessed, my sons bike hit a parked car 2 houses away and just like that $800.00 out the window.:mad:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
knee, I am very sorry to hear about your "near miss" and the resulting mess and possible physical injury. Just glad that you were not hurt more seriously because the situation you describe sure sounds like you dodged a bullet!! Get well soon. Hope the bike cleans up without any damage.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,145 Posts
Knee,

Just ran across this :eek:

I'm glad your injuries weren't more extensive. Here's hoping the knee isn't as bad as you think, and will heal up on its own. Grr.

For degreasing, I've had good luck with a product called 'Simple Green'. I haven't tried it with tar, though. Best of luck with that.

I would be inclined to call it in to the city so you have the incident on record - may help you or someone else down the road.

Best of luck! I really hope your knee is okay.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Knee the whole deal sux for sure! I'm a selfish SOB and all I could think was gawd I'm glad I live where I do. I have no issues riding and it sux reading about someone else misery and mishaps and really does me me thankful of where I live and ride! What a sheltered life I live :/

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Really bad news! Go see a good knee doctor. So sorry. :( Sounds like you'll need some arthroscopy. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Rags and kerosene may do the trick of cleaning up your bike. Get your knee checked out before it gets worse.

Contact the city highway dept. A job that big with multiple sub contractors working usually have a Main contractor overseeing the entire operation. The main contractor is responsible for the actions of all working on the site. You may need to go to the police dept to file an accident report.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm fit to be tied. Had the afternoon off yesterday for an appointment, so I dropped my bike off at the LBS for a throrough cleaning and assessment to see what they could do. Got the call late last night, it's pretty good, but they think I should take it for a ride to see how it feels after some many compoenents had been contaminated.

Anyway. . . .

Before I hit the LBS I decided to go the police station to find out if anyone made a report, etc. Abought 800 feet ahead of me, a motor scooter (50cc) vs work van head on happened. You know, the typical left turn in front of the 2 wheeled vehicle accident. And of course, the scooter dork wasn't wearing a helmet but didn't seem to have any injuries (Darwin be damned). The police station was 2 blocks away so I walked in and told the dispatcher about the accident. He gives me a pissy attitude and said "Yeah we already know about it."

I asked about the spill and he said "Well, if you had done the smart thing and called us, we could have found who did it." So when I mentioned the lack of cell service he had nothing to say. I then asked if there were traffic cameras, etc. When he replied in the negative, I asked then how they would have found who did it.

I also asked about anyone calling it in yesterday and he told me "no." Didn't look up in the CAD, nothing. He has NO idea what time of day I'm talking about. I realized I was wasting my time so as I am leaving he said "Oh sir, thanks for reporting the accident" and THEN GOES and DISPATCHES a CAR! I was blown away. I may be calling the OIC today to get some more info, we'll see.

Good news is the bike may be saved, as for my kit and pack, they're donezo. grrrr. . . . . .:hate::hate::hate:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts