Spin Classes

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Sue, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

are they any good ?

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have sat in on a few, but never attended a class religiously. I can say that the instructor really kicked my butt. I thought it would be a breeze because of all the miles I put in on my bike, plus the work I already do on the trainer in the winter; but I was wrong. It was a good workout. I would do it more often if I had the time for a formalized class, but I mainly have to cram 30 minutes here and there on the bike during this time of year just to get some miles in the legs.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Hopefully Flanderscycling will chime in on this subject. He'll have a wealth of knowledge as he is a certified gold level Schwinn IC instructor.

4. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

I always wondered what the difference was between spinning and an exercise bike. What is spinning? Is there a difference between a spinning bike and an exercise bike?
    It would be good to do something to help train for next summer in the cold months.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

What I have interpreted as the difference is most people get on an exercise bike and go at an even pace with even resistance for a set period of time. The idea behind "spinning" is that you are changing cadence and resistance throughout the workout. Plus you throw in being out of saddle and other dimensions to the work out. Spinning tends to, but isn't limited to being in a class like setting with an instructor who tailors the workout specifically for the class.

6. Sue

Sue New Member

got my first class on tuesday- will let you know. thanx for your replies:thumbsup:

7. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Just checking to see how that first spin class went, and some details about what you did there.

8. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

Careful - Spin is addictive if you have the right mix of music/instructor. What was once an ok alternative for rain/cold days is now a 3-4 visit a week sweat fest. I managed to lose ~20lbs with regular spin and it got me into riding outside more as well.

If you didn't think much of the first class...try another with a different instructor...

9. flanderscycling

flanderscycling New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I took a few classes. They're great for building on your cardio base, and improving fitness. Whether you ride a bike or not, they will give you a good workout. But if you want to improve your bike skills, they're for naught, as you're not working on real world handling and brake/shift skills.

11. flanderscycling

Sue,

They should be good, if the instructor is good.
    Spinning or indoor cycling was intented to be a substitute for training "on the road".

You can see the wikipedia page: Indoor cycling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The things I can add is that IC should be a training, not a "workout", it should be forbidden to ride at a higher RPM than 11-115. You don't do that outside as well. And, the most important, don't do what you don't do on a "regular bike"! (such as arm excercises, jumping on and off the bike, ride without saddle,....)

Or, like Jennifer Sage says, keep it real!!!
    About Jennifer Sage

12. rich88

rich88 New Member

All I can say is if you have any knee issues be careful with spin classes. I went to one a few years ago and the instructor who was obviously was not a road bike rider and had the class doing stuff that I though was pretty questionable knee health wise.

13. Spence602

Spence602 New Member

I started cycling again 2 years ago (after a 10 year hiatus). I was working out at a gym (Bally's) 3x week (M/W/F) and didn't want to disrupt my schedule with a spin class.
    This JAN I took the plunge and started the class M/W/F, moving my workouts to T/Th. The first few weeks of classes were really tough, but by the end of the first month I was keeping up with everything the instructor could throw at us.
    The instructor was an avid cyclist, so she instructed the class like she 'trained' - none of those 'jumps' or 'power surges' that could be harmful to your knees.

In MAR my family joined the YMCA, so I started going to the one closest to our home. Those 'trainers' might have owned a bike, but the class was not very fun, it wasn't very challenging, nor were the instructors personable. The music was on, but just to listen to - the BPM of the music wasn't matched to the cadence we were supposed to keep.

Since our membership allowed me to go to other Y's, I started going to one closer to work. WOW! The instructor was really prepped - each hour-long routine that he crafted was matched by the right music (BPM = cadence). He was personable, and an avid cyclist. Yes, he incorporated 'jumps' into his routine (and I don't do jumps) so I just crank up the resistance and imagine I have a 60-tooth ring (and keep up with the cadence). I usually end up doing 20+ miles (per the computer) in that hour-long class!
    Find yourself a good instructor, do the parts of the routine that you want, and have a lot of fun!

BTW - my pre-spin-class average speed on the open road was ~14MPH. Now it's 17+MPH after 5 months...

14. flanderscycling

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

i love spin classes and even have my own spin bike at home. they are just flat out awesome.

16. BigPapaK

BigPapaK New Member

17. flanderscycling

I tried the Cycleops 300 in January during a workshop "training with power" and I like the bike (but he was really new!!).
    I suppose the 100 is about the same but without the "powertap".
    There are more posibilities in changing position compared to the Schwinn IC or the Spinner bikes.
    All depends of your own sizes. When you're taller than me (5'5") you can find a real "race position" on the Schwinn or Spinner.
    Both are cheaper than the cycleops (at least in Europe)

18. R_Z

R_Z New Member

Hi there. I had my 7th spin class in a 2 week period yesterday. I find them to be an incredible work out. After the 1st class, the next day my quads were killing me! And I'd been riding a bike for a while. It was the standing that did it. I agree about the good instructors. The weekend guy is much more personable and works more with the beat of the music to set the pace. The week day lady, is just peddle peddle peddle. Stand, sit, more resistance, kickin' our butts. She looks to be in her 60's, but can out spin us all. Three days a week and I'm loving the hour long classes!