Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like reading everydody's highlights and picture from their rides and now with Andy adding destinations as a topic I was just thinking (scary I know) I have several rides that are on my cycling "bucket list" if you will.

The numero uno ride on my list is riding the Blue Ridge Parkway! But for now I would like to do a couple of "test" rides to see how well I would fare on such a ride I would like to try this:"

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/29531332

Anybody have a ride that really wanna do? Doesn't have to be a road ride, just something you wanna accomplish kinda thing. Like Xela's Ride of the Mortals...ok maybe not so much torture and more pleasure although I think Xlea has a taste for that kind pain and torture!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
ok maybe not so much torture and more pleasure although I think Xela has a taste for that kind pain and torture!
Gotta admit, I do, especially when it's over. :) I've always liked exploring my "limits" and finding that they are really not. As Senna said, "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further."

The Blue Ridge definitely looks fantastic. I'm still working on a goal for this year, but my dream rides would be somewhere in the Alps or Dolomites with some of the big climbs of the Tour or Giro. I have a love/hate relationship with big climbs. And I would like to do the Mt. Washington Hill Climb one day.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
There are a lot of rides I would like, the first would be to ride 100 miles. I know that is not much but I don't see me on the bike for that long it would take me 10 hours. I enjoy the rides I take and am glade I can do what I do, But you are right it is nice to dream. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have thought how interesting and fun it would be to take our bikes on some of our cruises. I can just imagine porting and then riding around in the various towns and islands in the Carib!

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
In 2010 my wife and I took a multimodal trip around the southern 1/3 of Lake Michigan. Biked from home south of Chicago up through the harbor country on the east side of Lake Michigan to Muskegon. Then we took the high speed ferry across Lake Michigan from Muskegon to Milwaukee, and biked south into IL, where we took a 30 mile train ride into Chicago, and finally rode bikes back home.

We were talking about duplicating part of that trip, but with a steamship crossing farther north from Ludington to Manitowoc. This may be the last year of operation for the coal fired SS Badger http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

A couple other rides are under discussion:

Bike to the nearest Amtrak station, then take Amtrak to Alton, IL, just outside St. Louis. Bike local roads and the Katy Trail. From near the end of the Katy we would jump off towards Kansas City, MO, then Amtrak back to Joliet and bike home.

Another thought was to Amtrak to LaCross, WI, ride some rail trails in SE MN and SW WI, them Amtrak back to near home.

·
717 Posts
^^^^Wife & I be in Chicage next Tuesday thru Thursday visiting her family and we'll have our bikes. Thought we'll just muck around the lake front area...should be very different from my "backroads Virgina" rides.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
^^^^Wife & I be in Chicage next Tuesday thru Thursday visiting her family and we'll have our bikes. Thought we'll just muck around the lake front area...should be very different from my "backroads Virgina" rides.
Hope you have a good visit. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 18 mi. Lake Front Trail. When we drive in to ride the LFT we park in the large outdoor lot right next to the Planetarium ... not cheap, but very convenient, and the Planetarium area has one of the best views of the skyline you can get without being on a boat.

If you do get by the Planetarium, be sure to take a ride around Northerly Island Park. Northerly Island is a man-made peninsula built for the 1933-34 Century of Progress fair. It was the site of Megs Airfield which was bulldozed by Mayor Daily in 2003 and turned into a park with native plants and a few sculptures. We have seen coyotes at dusk on Northerly Island.

Some of the attached photos are a few years old, but you get the idea ..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
When I lived in Nashville, Tn. I drove the Natchez Trace Parkway many times for Sunday drives and picnics and other relaxing outdoor activities .

As I have gotten more and more into cycling the memories of the scenery and very cool places along the route have me listing that as a top prospective route to do.

Here is a link for those unfamiliar with this Historic Trail.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

·
717 Posts
Hope you have a good visit. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 18 mi. Lake Front Trail. When we drive in to ride the LFT we park in the large outdoor lot right next to the Planetarium ... not cheap, but very convenient, and the Planetarium area has one of the best views of the skyline you can get without being on a boat.

If you do get by the Planetarium, be sure to take a ride around Northerly Island Park. Northerly Island is a man-made peninsula built for the 1933-34 Century of Progress fair. It was the site of Megs Airfield which was bulldozed by Mayor Daily in 2003 and turned into a park with native plants and a few sculptures. We have seen coyotes at dusk on Northerly Island.

Some of the attached photos are a few years old, but you get the idea ..

thank you very much for the tips, will do those..if weather permits!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts