Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, they have found an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Rather than seek out design/engineering jobs, they should consider careers in politics.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
It's kinda cool to see that somebody actually made one, though. I've seen renderings of ideas, but never an actual bike.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the risk of repeating myself, they have found an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Rather than seek out design/engineering jobs, they should consider careers in politics.
Sometimes you find what you do need by finding what you don't. I agree with you technically but not philosophically.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I disagree. I think it can be a fun and challenging experiment to try and reinvent things and see where you can go with them even if the end result it not ground breaking or game changing.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Likely be as efficient as the 'shaft-drive' bikes I've seen, that someone tried to revive a couple years ago. There's a reason they didn't take off either time, and Hack knows why.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was it friction related. I've seen some pistons on sites but is there any advantage to them?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,544 Posts
Like when NASA spent millions to develop an ink pen that would write in zero gravity; while the Russians simply used pencils?

In 2053 when future hipster doofuses are riding around on spokeless, magnetically assist driven anti-gravity bikes I'll be the old man in tweed on the English 3-speed. LOL!

·
Registered
73 Posts
change is good

Like when NASA spent millions to develop an ink pen that would write in zero gravity; while the Russians simply used pencils?

In 2053 when future hipster doofuses are riding around on spokeless, magnetically assist driven anti-gravity bikes I'll be the old man in tweed on the English 3-speed. LOL!
This is the way that science and engineering development works. you take an Idea and you develop that into a product. Someone else comes and makes changes to your idea and next thing you know your riding cars instead of horses, your on the internet talking in a forum instead of sitting in a bar lol This is the way you move forward as people. You can see how far using a pencil took Russia. Today's bad engineering is tomorrows great idea. Change is good.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I have one of those pens and it's awesome.
Well worth the expense. I've had it for 5 years. Use it pretty consistently around the house and I've never had an issue. I have only used it once upside down and it does work. Seems pointless right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen

Wiki details the myth of US pen versus the Russian pencil. The pen was designed and marketed by a non government entity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
. . . they have found an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. . .
I agree philosophically. I worked in electronics service for over 30 years and saw reliable transistor-style dialysis machines ($2500) replaced with computer controlled monstrosities ($20,000) that broke down at the drop of a hat. I worked as the manufacturer's representative in four states and basically watched while company management pushed that POS out of engineering and out the door for reps like me to fix design problems in the customer's "house." When I complained about it I lost out on an annual raise, I quit, and then the company was sold to an international dialysis company. Fifteen revisions later the machines were better but not the best they could have been if they had been designed properly in the first place, or as Hack says, "an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist."

Steve

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,544 Posts
I have one of those pens and it's awesome.
Well worth the expense. I've had it for 5 years. Use it pretty consistently around the house and I've never had an issue. I have only used it once upside down and it does work. Seems pointless right?

Space Pen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki details the myth of US pen versus the Russian pencil. The pen was designed and marketed by a non government entity.
I stand corrected...for the second time in one day. LOL!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I stand corrected...for the second time in one day. LOL!

I thought the same thing. It was a little while back I looked into it when a friend used it and started asking questions. They are pretty neat. I recommend them for lefties cause the ink doesn't smear as badly. Also it's a click style so no revolving back in on itself as lefties write.

·
hardtail hardass
45 Posts
This is the way that science and engineering development works. you take an Idea and you develop that into a product. Someone else comes and makes changes to your idea and next thing you know your riding cars instead of horses, your on the internet talking in a forum instead of sitting in a bar lol This is the way you move forward as people. You can see how far using a pencil took Russia. Today's bad engineering is tomorrows great idea. Change is good.
While I don't disagree with your ideas on progress via experimentation, you're wrong about Russia. They are just as technological advanced as the US, just maybe not socio-politically.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts