Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got passed this evening by a dapper gent aboard a Spot Acme. Gates belt drive, 11 speed Alfine IGH, hydraulic disc brakes. The future is now! Link.

Please post picture of cool bikes (or anything else of interest) 'Spotted' on your ride. :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think the larger size costs the same but wouldn't simply raising the seat a bit do the trick? I guess he can pay a bike fitter to raise it for him. From his dress and demeanor he seemed like a guy who could afford a bike fitting but perhaps too intelligent to spend money that way. ;)

I prefer undersized frames myself. My Cannondale H300 was designed for a smaller person than me, but it was also designed to be ridden in a more upright position. By buying the wrong size I was able to get the right fit. :)

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I think the larger size costs the same but wouldn't simply raising the seat a bit do the trick? I guess he can pay a bike fitter to raise it for him. From his dress and demeanor he seemed like a guy who could afford a bike fitting but perhaps too intelligent to spend money that way. ;)

I prefer undersized frames myself. My Cannondale H300 was designed for a smaller person than me, but it was also designed to be ridden in a more upright position. By buying the wrong size I was able to get the right fit. :)
My comment was meant a bit sarcastically, but raising the seat isn't going to change anything. His knees look close to the bars, even with that long stem. Seems cramped, even for an upright ride. And based on the photos, if he can mount a rack and panniers, he's going to hit them constantly. From the Spot website, looks like they're not really intended for mounting racks though.

·
12,350 Posts
The Bike Friday guy reminds of someone I saw this evening on a folder, but he was kicking back and smoking a cigarette. Not much farther back was a girl with badly bleached hair, looking like she was having a miserable time commuting on a BMX.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I always wondered how folks had so much space to hang bags form teh back of the saddles. etc. If I try to hang a bag, it covers the rack. May be a smaller bike and longer seat post would do the trick. I always went by the standover height to size my bike.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A smaller frame will probably not allow you to have more distance between saddle and rack because the rack needs to be high enough to clear the rear wheel and your saddle height relative to the cranks/pedals cannot be changed if you already have your saddle at a good height (knee close to fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke). The distance of the cranks to the ground does not change with frame size, so the saddle height relative to the ground won't change. And the wheel size doesn't change with frame size either so rack height will not change unless you find a bike with a smaller rear wheel.

I've used rear rack designed for 26" wheel mountain bikes on a bike with 700c wheels which sat very close to the top of the tire. This gave me more room between rack and saddle which came in handy for carrying boxes. The Jandd Mountaineering Expedition rack seen on my Cannondale in the picture above is larger (and heavier) than standard racks and it sits further back on the bike than other models. If my saddle was lowered, it would move forward due to the angle of the seat tube. So for a rider shorter than myself, a small saddlebag might fit between the rack and the frame.

·
12,350 Posts
The distance of the cranks to the ground does not change with frame size, so the saddle height relative to the ground won't change.
Except that some manufacturers offer a longer or shorter crank set, depending on frame size. Going with longer cranks actually requires you to lower the seat.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So if ak08820 were to change from175mm cranks to 165mm, he or she could raise his or her saddle .039 inches. I suppose that might make a difference. I wouldn't change frame size or crank arm length to accommodate a seat bag. Is that what you are suggesting?

·
12,350 Posts
So if ak08820 were to change from175mm cranks to 165mm, he or she could raise his or her saddle .039 inches. I suppose that might make a difference. I wouldn't change frame size or crank arm length to accommodate a seat bag. Is that what you are suggesting?
Not at all. I'm merely pointing out that different frame sizes can come with different crank lengths. So your comment "The distance of the cranks to the ground does not change with frame size, so the saddle height relative to the ground won't change" is not entirely accurate. If cranks of a different length are used, the height of the saddle relative to the ground will need to change accordingly. It's the distance between the pedal at the bottom of the crank stroke to the height of the seat that needs to remain a constant.

None of that really matters though. Short people sometimes get screwed when it comes to bikes. Sure, they get to ride a lighter bike for a given model. But they have to give up certain things on the smaller bikes. Room for panniers is a perfect example. It's also sometimes difficult to maintain perfect geometry without overlap on the front wheel.

And no, I'm not trying to be a jerk with my short posts. You can tell when I'm at work by the brevity of my comments. When I have more time, I make sure to be more detailed.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Bilenky Cargo Bike. $3600 for 100kg carrying capacity.:rolleyes: I don't blame him for ignoring the guy who just made a u-turn in traffic and is riding along side taking pictures. After all I was on a thirteen year old hybrid that listed for $400 new and towing a $500 trailer (that could carry both his bike and his max load at the same time). :)

My bike is not a cargo bike.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Now thats a trailer :thumbsup:

4 legs that fold down and some aluinum panles that opean to an A and fit flat with the flore when not in use I would call it a pop up camper.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I've seen pictures of bike trailers that are enclosed campers. My trailer's bed is 5 feet long, so it would be a little cramped. They, BikesAtWork, make a large one that would work better for that (mine's only a "medium" :))

Another small bike

1 - 20 of 325 Posts