Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the ample info in RULES - what are some general rules on the front sprockets - usually when we do distance days we stay on the small sprocket - real training days - all out pain the big one - any thoughts ?

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I don't think there are any real rules on that. You might consider the cadence or your ride vs what chainring you are using. Ride what feels comfortable and youll know what to do whe the time comes.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
The general rule is to use the one that suits your needs the best.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Many newbies and experienced riders use the big ring all the time and they end up riding in the big ring and the biggest cog a lot of the time, which is the worst gear combination for drivetrain wear.

I'd suggest using the small ring for speeds up to about 18mph, save the big ring for faster speeds. Avoid cross gears, big to big and small to small.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
If your bike has a trim feature on the front derailleur then you can use more of the gears from the front chain ring with out rubbing. You may still put some flex on the chain though.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention I use mostly cadence with 85-105 at all times

Got that from a competitive rider to save knees and for better training

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

Yup. that's pretty good! I feel best around 100 but that is hard to maintian!

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
bikertank said:

That is very good.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Speaking of sprockets, and this may be a little off topic, has anyone used or downloaded Bike Gear Calculator? It's a really neat app for the iPhone that shows your gear ratio. It has two sliders, one for speed and one for cadence and changing either of them will display the results of the other for the selected gear ratio. There is a free version and a paid version which has a lot more features.

Just thought I would mention it for you iPhone guys to check out. I don't know if it is available for Android based phones.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I have it on my Ipod touch. . .

Makes me want to see about all of those skid patches. . . .
The only thing I found that I don't like about the free version is that on the iPhone, it doesn't save any of the settings you enter for wheel and crank size. It also doesn't save the last chainring and sprocket settings. I'll spring for the paid version if it saves the settings.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
"Now's the time on shprockets when we daunce!"

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
kneedrachen said:
I paid for it and mine saves, but not sure if it is in settings?
I emailed the developer and he said the paid version saves, so I updated the app. I really like the extra features. An excellent cycling app for $1.99.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts