Square frame

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by whitewolf, Oct 26, 2009.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf Guest

I just thought the idea of having a square shaped frame instead of the usual rounded one would be kind of cool but can the rectangular / square shape withstand as much force as having a circular shape of pipes?

Does anyone have a bike like this?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

That would allow it to flex on the vertical plane, which would be ok. But it would also flex on the horizontal plane, which is very bad.

The custom XC bike that my ex wife just sold for peanuts had a rear triangle constructed of rectangular tubing. Because the tubing was taller than it was wide, it had lots of lateral stiffness. But you need to get into long travel, DH style bikes to see any real benefit.

3. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

Its been done and it works just fine.

UFO bmx frames back when used square tubing. Redman bikes (one of the TOP custom bike makers in bmx, next to staats) used a monocoque square tube and down tube design.

Its been proven to work well, but rather pointless because a round tube bike will be generally easier to build, and generally like said stiffer in parts.

Many, MANY mtb companies use square tubing for rear triangles. Square tubing in the rear actually is better in many cases than round (but like industry said, its a bigger travel thing for the square). Just the front triangle suffers from square. IE generally breaking at the head tube like ufo's did. Redman used that notorious monocoque that got them famous that allowed more welding surface area to avoid those head tube cracks.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Anyone have a picture of an square tubing bike? Never seen one before.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you measured your angles properly and payed consideration to your welds you ought to be alright.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Gee, let me ask my ex if she still has some photos of my bike... :hate:

7. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and last but not least, one of the best race bmx frames ever made bar none. The frame that got redman so high up on the custom bike podium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I am an apprentice frame builder located in Sussex, England. Square tubing does work well. It is homely, however. Round tubing is easier to make and makes for an eye pleasing structure. Some of the earliest carbon efforts were of square construction.

In the shop, above my bean, is a handmade carbon frame of box construction. It was easy to form and worked well. It did not require a mold to build. Today, all, or most carbon frames are molded with fair edges.

9. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Cycle Genius uses a square top tube for their recumbent frames.

I think Sun Bicycles also has some partial square tube frames.

10. craisin

craisin New Member

be hard on your nuts:rolleyes:

11. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

So does Zox. The original RANS Rocket was also built with Square tubes. For a given width, a square tube will be stiffer but heavier. That's because the measurement diagonally across the tube will be further. Square tubes will simplify aligning the tube cuts.

12. Tannroxie2004

Tannroxie2004 Chris

Help

I have a squre tube bike from the late 70's. I bought it when I was 8 or so
    I still to this day do not know what kind of bike it is. Can anyone
    help?