squeaky chain

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by spencer, May 6, 2009.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

hey guys the chain on my bike has been really squeaky lately and sometimes gets stuck. what can i use to clean it out? i don't know if wd-40 would be safe.

2. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

wd-40 will be safe. people say its water based, but they are wrong, the WD stands for Water Displacing. go to your hardware/automotive store and pick up some chain lube. that is mainly for atv's and dirtbikes, but it will work. i recamend just getting wd-40. if the links are stiff and don't move very good, try to work them in with your hands. you could also put motor oil on the chain itself, but this will attract dirt.

3. Dstompe

Dstompe New Member

I would really recommend not put motor oil on the chain. Everything you ride over or through will become stuck to your chain, and it won't work very well (it'll be sticky and slow). WD-40 should only be used to clean the chain, because that too will attract dirt and what not. If your chain is really dirty break it with a chain breaker tool and leave it in a tub of gasoline or turpentine or something like that. Once it is in there for a day or too you can put it back, but be sure to dry it as well as you can. Once your chain is clean use chain lube, it may cost more than wd but that's because it works well for bikes. Some of my favorite brands are dumonde tech and finish line. Once you lube your chain make sure to use a rag and run the chain through the rag a couple times to get off excess.

Also you should probably lube your chain before every "ride" (not necessary if you are just toolin' around).

4. GrizzlyBear67

GrizzlyBear67 Member

WD-40 as a chain lube...

I've been hearing for years that WD-40 is no good and will attract dirt which will wear out you chain prematurely.

This is only partly correct. I've never seen or found a chain lube that didn't attract dirt. My chain is just as dirty at the end of a ride no matter what I use. The key to long life is keeping the chain clean and well lubed. Some wax type lubes are very hard to clean off. I've been using WD-40 for years and have had no ill-effects. It's easy to clean off and replace and it's cheap! It doesn't last as long as true chain lube so if you plan on racing or doing an epic ride in dusty conditions you may get some sqeaking toward the end.

Make sure to wipe off all the excess and if you are running rim brakes cover the rim prior to applying. Also, try not to spray it on full force. There is a way to apply pressure so that a foam comes out.

Good luck, I hope that helps...

5. Doc

Doc Guest

You might try cleaning it with some wd to break the grime down then apply some good bicycle chain lube for preventative maintenance.

6. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

like stated above, gasoline works very good. if you can, take your chain off, and put it in a dish. fill the dish of with gas and let the chain soak in there all night. the next day your gas will be brown from dirt, oil, and rust. take your chain out, swish it in new gas. then oil your chain with what you want. wd-40 works good for me...

7. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

Yeah, WD-40 breaks down the lubricant on the chain, and will make it rust and squeak. I sprayed some on a perfectly good chain, and a day later it was all rusted.

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

9. michaelangelo

michaelangelo Guest

I use WD-40 in moderation. It also comes in handy for a hundred other things around the house. Look up WD-40 uses on the internet. You can do stuff it with that I would have never thought of.

10. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

WD40 will work its just not the best lubricant. Bicycle specific lubes are designed specifically for bike chains and its counterparts. This doesn't mean you have to use em it is just the better option if you dont mind spending the money. I can say that bike specific chain lubes do last a lot longer than WD-40. I can ride multiple rides w/o having to reapply lube because it actually sticks to the chain. WD-40 is very "thin" and just doesn't seem to stick around like bike specific lubes. Any lube is better than nothing so at least use something b/c all that friction w/o lubrication wears out your components really quickly.

11. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

My favorite: "Keeps flies off cows."
    snopes.com: Uses for WD-40 Spray Lubricant

12. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

i've used it for misquitoes. haha

my teacher uses some "ice" wax. i can't remember the full name. he swears by it. he rides quite a bit. i'm not sure how you apply it.

13. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

I think that one is either applied (if it's in a bottle) link by link or just squirting it out and running the chain along.

I personally use a little bottle of teflon-based lube (a "dry" lubricant, even though it's a liquid) that I got at my bike shop when I bought my bike. It's good for all of the components on the bike, and works well for the chain from what I've seen. Just make sure to wipe off the excess.

I think it's teflon-based, anyway. I need to get a chain cleaner myself.

14. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

yeah I hink the teflon based stuff is much better WD-40 suckzors.