Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 Giant Advanced Defy 5 composite road bike at my LBS. I love it except....there is a squeaky sound continually coming from the seat or seatpost while riding. I called the owner of the LBS where the bike was purchased and he said to tighten everything up around the seat and seat post. This did not help. I called again and he said to spray lubricant under the seat where it attaches to the post - this did not work. I have also tried a different saddle with no improvement. If I stand up to pedal the noise disappears.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is this possibly a manufacturers defect that should be replaced by Giant and the LBS?

Thank you very much.

Mickeymoondawg

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Maybe they wanted you to apply the lubricant to the steel rails of the saddle where they enter into the saddle. Sometimes there is a plastic bushing here and when the saddle flexs it rides on the rails.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Take the seat off, and clean the clamping surfaces. Anywhere that metal touches metal should be clean and smooth. Reassemble. Snugly. Enjoy the silence.

·
73 Posts
If you have tried everything on the seat then as mentioned above, lubricate the seatpost/frame junction and clamp to correct torque value. As mentioned you will need to use a carbon specific lubricant/gripping agent if a carbon fibre post is fitted?

Another thing to check if it is a carbon post is that there are no cracks from when it was installed on the bike. Hopefully it hasn't been over tightened causing a crack, and hopefully once lubed and tightened the noise will go away :)

·
1,813 Posts
You need a new LBS. if you just purchased it, they should have offered to have you bring it back for service. Also, assuming they torqued the post to spec, their advice to have you tighten it some more is irresponsible, especially if the post is carbon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone that replied with suggestions. The carbon seatpost was cracked from being over tightened at the shop or manufacturer. My LBS replaced it today with a new one - I also got profile bars :) Will ride tomorrow to check it all out.
Thanks
Mickedymoondawg

·
73 Posts
Thanks to everyone that replied with suggestions. The carbon seatpost was cracked from being over tightened at the shop or manufacturer. My LBS replaced it today with a new one - I also got profile bars :) Will ride tomorrow to check it all out.
Thanks
Mickedymoondawg
Just so as you know, the seat post is NEVER installed when the bike arrives from the factory :rolleyes: in the box.

Whoever installed has over tightened and cracked the post.:eek:
The great thing is the LBS took responsibility and fitted a new post for you.:D
Please check with your LBS that A: they applied carbon paste/assembly compund when fitting the new post and B: they have tightened the seat post with a torque wrench to manufacturers settings.
If so, then all is good and please enjoy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They did apply the carbon paste/fitting compound and torqued to 5 Newton meters. I also bought a torque wrench and will not be afraid to use it. Thanks to all that replied. Happy riding.

;) Mickedymoondawg

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
When I had the fork for my tandem built, the guy told me a new crown was $90, and a torque wrench was $50 at Sears. He figured I was smart enough to go buy one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it is still creaking. Could this be a flaw in the manufacturing of the carbon frame? The LBS will look at it for me - I just want to educate myself on possible causes and not get the run around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carbon Paste

I had the same problem with my 2011 TCR Composite within 200km of riding. The remedy is remove the seat post and liberally grease with Carbon paste. Get your LBS to do it. Giant have had this problem heaps so they should know about it. 3000 km down the track and i know have a rubbery squeak that i cant put a finger on. Comes from somewhere near the crank or BB. Good luck with the seat post issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts