Squealing Brakes!!!!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Heartless, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Heartless

Heartless New Member

Guys,

I have really noisy Shimano brakes! They are Hydro disc, and i am wondering if there is a solvent, or solution that i can clean them with? Perhaps i can use a mild abrasive on the pad surface? Is it best to just get new pads?

:confused:

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

try wiping the wheels with an alcohol damp rag or one of those wipes you find in first aid kits. Often its the stuff on the wheel and not the pad causing the noises.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm sure he means the disc rotor.

4. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Could you use some good brake cleaner; the automotive stuff?

5. Heartless

Heartless New Member

Yes definately Hydraulic Disc brakes; Shimano to be exact. Not sure if automotive brake cleaner works... my guess would be no, but if someone has tried it... im game. I tried sanding them and using a paint thinner to clean them. This actually made them worse. So dont do this! haha

I heard heating up the brakes with a blow torch, to burn off any residues then sanding with fine sandpaper will fix it... does this have any merit?

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

No heat. If your pads are bad, they're bad. Make sure your discs are clean, and that your brakes are properly aligned. New pads are cheap, and there is a break-in process you need to follow.

7. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Actually I miss read the post thinking non disk brakes where the wheel is the braking surface, but in this case I should have said disks. Thanks for the correction. If that doesn't do it, bad is bad. I wouldn't want heat anywhere near my brakes.

8. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

don't use auto brake cleaner, it didn't agree with my shimano pads.