Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about at my wits end! I have a click or tick coming from my rear cassette that is driving me nuts. Both my hi and lo limits are set and correct, my barrel adjustment has been done several times, I get a skip on the top 2 cogs that I can not get rid of. It will be fine in the stand and for a while as I ride and then from time to time that come back( only about 1200 miles on the cable(s))...but lately I get a ticking sound that drives me bonkers! Sometimes after I change a cog or two if I give the shiftier a slight tap it will stop. It's like there is a trim adjustment I am missing. I'm going to try a tweak on the cable housing adjustment next.

One of the guys I ride with has had a similar sound. He recently just purchased a one piece machined SRAM Red OG-1090 and it seems to have gone away. I'm not going to pay 230 bux for a cassette tho!

Anybody have any other ideas or experience with this?

Frustrated....

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well another look in the stand and I noticed something this time. The adapter w/ mounting shaft wobbles. I have another SRAM deraileer and when I have a few minutes I'm gonna swao it out and see, hoping that's it! Thd other does not move or wobble like this one which would explain, I think, the skip I can adjust out and then comes back....

Rear Derailuer see no. 9. Basically I think that is it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem using PG 1070 11-28 cassette. The biggest 3 chainrings are held by an alloy spider and those ones make noise. All the other are ok. Tried everything, it's not going to go away. It seems like the bolts that hold the rings to the spider are dodgy.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call. Mine has subsided after a couple of hundred miles....or maybe I just turn the iPod up louder nowadays :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
The problem is in the heading... Its that nasty 4 letter word in caps...

Let the flame wars begin...

I had a simalar problem and found that the bolts holding the RD hanger on the frame had loosened up and the hanger had just enough play to let the RD kick inboard.

On my ride last night I had a lot of noise coming from the rear end and couldn't pin it down until I took a good look while BBQing tonight. I found that the RD hanger bolts were very loose and tightening them did take some of the chatter away, but not all. After about a min. looking and lisening I found that the jockey wheel bearings had failed and allowed the wheels to slide over to one side and making the chain rub the crap out of the RD cage.

All fixed and ready to go....

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Just had my rear hub rebuilt by my LBS mechanic that solved (at least temporarily) a similar problem. Beat the heck out of buying a new cassette.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Solution is in original post.

F=Force=Fails
R=Red=Rules (well not really, Campy rules, but for your standards, Red would be fine).

On an interesting note, I have a SRAM rear cassette on the gekko and have the same problem on my 2nd to lowest cog.
Doesn't sound like the same problem :)

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Those small little noises are the biggest PITA.

Isn't it odd when you have a little click going on you think the entire world can hear it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never had that problem with the 11-28 or 11-23. Maybe it was made on a Monday...

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a simalar problem and found that the bolts holding the RD hanger on the frame had loosened up and the hanger had just enough play to let the RD kick inboard.
Just had my rear hub rebuilt by my LBS mechanic that solved (at least temporarily) a similar problem. Beat the heck out of buying a new cassette.
I had my bike in for new cables and housings and found out my hanger was so bent it's embarrassing. My chain was so worn it was off the scale which sucks since it's not even a year old and the cassette is only 4 or so months old.

My rear hub needed some attention and my front wheel needed to be trued. Got her wrapped in some new bar tape while he was at it as well!
Just wanna give Robert and his new shop Red Barn Bicycles on Williamsburg,Va. a huge shout. He had 13 sets of wheels to build and was cool enough to bump me to the top of the list and get my junk done! IHe probably had as much in the Chris King hubs in the shop as my 2 bikes are worth. Those are some pretty awesome pieces for sure!
All and all I should get a mph back in my avg hu?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts