Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2009 version and I have constant front derailure issues. I was having some chain rubbing, adjusted it, was ok for a ride, then was not able to shift rings. Took it to my LBS, had it adjusted, was ok for one ride and now is not shifting again. They mentioned some kind of shim they can install. Has any one heard of this or had similar problems?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have Rival's on my Roubaix, but honestly stay on the big ring 99% of the time so haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Whatever... My intention was simply to say that no, I haven't experienced any issues with my front derailleur because I don't use it that much. No macho-man BS was intended.
:rolleyes:

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I was having trubble with my frunt derailer, I would ajust it and it would be good for a ride or two. I finely marked the ajuster and what I found was the ajuster was unscrewing and it would be out of ajust ment. Mine is real tuchy for some reason 1/2 turn will lead to mist shifts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my ride this morning I had to loosen the cables while riding to shift to the small ring and then tighten to shift back to big. I think I am looking into this shim thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to revise an old thread. I have fought this rival FD for long enough. I did the shim thing late last year. I finally broke down and bought a red yaw 10 speed FD. I have not installed it yet, but there was nothing that solved my chain rub and shifting issues in the rival.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
FD adjustment can be a lesson in futility. Replace your cable the same time you install your new FD so you don't have to get into it again a few months down the road.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Good call. I was going to be lazy, but you're right. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Lemme know how that works out. You should get the RD to match it :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I broke a sifter, I have Force, and it was cheaper to by the Red. There was a reason i couldn't use them and for the life of me can't remember why now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked my chain and have to replace it after 1000 miles. It was a sram 1030 I think. That seems kind of odd.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Red 10 speed yaw FD successfully installed. Shifts like a dream. I should have done this long ago.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
^ very cool, I have a small issue with my rear derailleur. No matter how I adjust it, in certain cogs, it requires a slight tap as if it needs trimmed out. Very annoying.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had too many problems with the RD, thankfully. Once in a while it will seem to get caught up, or skip a gear, but I usually chalk that up to cable tension. It certainly could be the RD though. I can't wait to get some miles in this weekend.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Good call knee. I would use a derailer alignment tool on the derailer hanger and go from there,if the derailed hanger is out of alignment you could be chasing it for a long time and never to get it to shift right.
My .02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts