Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have credit at Nashbar that I need to use and wanted to get the wife a single speed. I am considering the Nashbar Hounder and the GT Traffic 5.0 (mens frame, not the womans). Both are priced similar and my credit about covers them.

I pretty much found several reviews on the Hounder and they don't seem too bad. I tried to search for reviews on the Traffic 5.0 but came up very slim. I also see that 2011 was the last year GT offered this model? Did they discontinue it because it bombed that badly? Advice and opinions are appreciated...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've heard good things about the Hounder, and don't know much about the GT Traffic. Hounder is CroMo, Traffic is Aluminum (I assume lighter). I kind of like the tires (wide Schwalbes with reflective sidewalls) on the GT for urban riding/commuting, but the 700x28s on the Hounder might roll a little faster.

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Why does your wife want a single speed? Explain to her the advantages of mutl-speed bicycles.
:rolleyes: I think it speaks volumes that you can explain the advantages of a multi-speed bicycle. On the other hand, a fixed gear or single speed bike must be ridden to be fully appreciated as no words can describe that level of awesome. :p ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I had a single speed was I was six.

I rode for a few weeks with busted shift cables. It hurt my knees.

My cat is fixed. :p ;)

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I had a single speed was I was six.

I rode for a few weeks with busted shift cables. It hurt my knees.

My cat is fixed. :p ;)
When the timing chain on our tandem broke, I took the stoker's spot and pedaled us home. Seat height and gearing have a lot to do with alleviating knee pain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. My wife has a geared bike and wanted to give a single speed a go as well. I ended up ordering the Hounder and we await it's arrival. At the same time I also ordered my self a Madison. I've been on a SS conversion for years, time for a dedicated SS :) ...

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Correct seat height is critical for efficient cycling. Too high will cause over-extension. Too low is inefficient, and will cause knee pain.

With a single speed or fixed gear where you only have one gear, it's best to choose a ratio that suits your riding style and terrain.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If your preferred terrain includes a variety of gradients and/or a variety of surfaces and/or frequent stopping, for traffic lights, etc. erring on the low side with respect to gearing is advisable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
bfloyd6969 said:
Ha ha, yeah! - I'll be setting her up with a 42 x 21 though :)
I just looked up that Madison bike that you ordered. Looks like a pretty sweet ride. Be sure to let us know how it handles!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just looked up that Madison bike that you ordered. Looks like a pretty sweet ride. Be sure to let us know how it handles!
I will. I got mine from Nashbar at that great price. The only thing is I had to get the purple/white color scheme, which surely was not my first choice, as that is all they had left in my size. - I would have much rather got the red. But, it was a great deal and I'm more about riding the bike rather than looking at it. So, I'll change cosmetics a bit here and there to make it look more appealing :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
bfloyd6969 said:
I will. I got mine from Nashbar at that great price. The only thing is I had to get the purple/white color scheme, which surely was not my first choice, as that is all they had left in my size. - I would have much rather got the red. But, it was a great deal and I'm more about riding the bike rather than looking at it. So, I'll change cosmetics a bit here and there to make it look more appealing :)
Sounds good! Hey if you need any custom decals to add to your bike let me know!

·
Registered
44 Posts
bfloyd6969 said:
Thanks SignWorX. Do you have an online store front?
I did up to last week when I canceled with the company that was hosting my website. They raised they're monthly rate on me be almost $10 without any type of warning. I'm working on creating one by myself. But let me know what you need and ill work something out for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts