Two Spoke Forums banner

SS for the wife

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  SignWorX 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have credit at Nashbar that I need to use and wanted to get the wife a single speed. I am considering the Nashbar Hounder and the GT Traffic 5.0 (mens frame, not the womans). Both are priced similar and my credit about covers them.

I pretty much found several reviews on the Hounder and they don't seem too bad. I tried to search for reviews on the Traffic 5.0 but came up very slim. I also see that 2011 was the last year GT offered this model? Did they discontinue it because it bombed that badly? Advice and opinions are appreciated...

#2 ·
I've heard good things about the Hounder, and don't know much about the GT Traffic. Hounder is CroMo, Traffic is Aluminum (I assume lighter). I kind of like the tires (wide Schwalbes with reflective sidewalls) on the GT for urban riding/commuting, but the 700x28s on the Hounder might roll a little faster.

#4 ·
Why does your wife want a single speed? Explain to her the advantages of mutl-speed bicycles.
:rolleyes: I think it speaks volumes that you can explain the advantages of a multi-speed bicycle. On the other hand, a fixed gear or single speed bike must be ridden to be fully appreciated as no words can describe that level of awesome. :p ;)

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. My wife has a geared bike and wanted to give a single speed a go as well. I ended up ordering the Hounder and we await it's arrival. At the same time I also ordered my self a Madison. I've been on a SS conversion for years, time for a dedicated SS :) ...

#15 ·
I just looked up that Madison bike that you ordered. Looks like a pretty sweet ride. Be sure to let us know how it handles!
I will. I got mine from Nashbar at that great price. The only thing is I had to get the purple/white color scheme, which surely was not my first choice, as that is all they had left in my size. - I would have much rather got the red. But, it was a great deal and I'm more about riding the bike rather than looking at it. So, I'll change cosmetics a bit here and there to make it look more appealing :)

#17 ·
bfloyd6969 said:
I will. I got mine from Nashbar at that great price. The only thing is I had to get the purple/white color scheme, which surely was not my first choice, as that is all they had left in my size. - I would have much rather got the red. But, it was a great deal and I'm more about riding the bike rather than looking at it. So, I'll change cosmetics a bit here and there to make it look more appealing :)
Sounds good! Hey if you need any custom decals to add to your bike let me know!

#19 ·
bfloyd6969 said:
Thanks SignWorX. Do you have an online store front?
I did up to last week when I canceled with the company that was hosting my website. They raised they're monthly rate on me be almost $10 without any type of warning. I'm working on creating one by myself. But let me know what you need and ill work something out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.