SS MTB on a college budget

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by bstickler92, Feb 11, 2011.

1. bstickler92

bstickler92 Junior Member

due to my old bike finally dying, i decided to build a single speed mountain bike from the ground up.
    first up is the frame, Access XCL mtb frame from perf bike(size 18.5"). it is actually red although it looks orange in the picture ~$100
    [​IMG]
    next is the suspension fork with disc brakes and handlebars. free(salvaged off old bike)
    [​IMG]
    wheels and tires: 26" swift arrow wheels and 26x2.10 kenda nevegals. free(also salvaged off old bike)
    [​IMG]
    forte single speed conversion kit. i will be mounting the 16t and 20t but using the 20t until i feel comfortable swapping it over to the 16t. ~$30
    [​IMG]
    forte comp mtb pedals. ~$20
    [​IMG]

comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is my first ground up build!
    -brandon

2. BobH

BobH New Member

Brandon,

Looks like a fun project. You seem to have all the parts gathered. Keep us posted on the build. I believe that you get a lot of enjoyment out of both the build and the ride. I would like to know what you final invesrtment is at completion.

BobH.

3. bstickler92

thanks BobH, i'm keeping a very close tab on what i spend on this build, i'm trying my best to keep it under $300. i know that may sound way cheap to more experienced members of this forum, but i've got college tuition to pay and there's not much room after that.

this weekend is going a bit slow, still waiting on parts and tools(crank and chainring should be here early in the week) so i found a place downtown called The Adventure's Edge that sells backpacking, climbing, and hiking equipment as well as military surplus gear. they were having a storewide sale so i decided to get some 3/4" wide strap to make some pedal straps with. at $0.30 per foot, i got ten feet and only used about three total on my straps.

so homemade pedal straps ~$1.00
    [​IMG]

4. bstickler92

ok, so here is the finished product, y'all didn't miss much in between. i've just spent the last week and a half waiting on parts to come in, returning wrong parts, tedious stuff.
    [​IMG]
    i couldn't wait to take a picture then go and ride it, so it is a little dirty.
    in total, it cost me just under $320. i am very happy with the build, if anyone has any questions or if i've forgotten something, please let me know!

added: the rear wheel looks different from above, that's because it is completely different. the hub on the old wheel is different than the hub needed for the ss conversion kit. i was going to swap in a new hub, but when it came in, it was the wrong size so i've gotta send it back, also, the freewheel would not come off so that wheel's gone. i ordere a new one with the right hub for ~$50

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  5. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

signal speed mtn

the next question is what kind of gearing do you have in the front? you say you have a 16 or so in the back So, maybe a 32 or 36 in front?

You say your going to use it to go to class, well I think it might be a good idea to set it up with some racks and bungee cords so you can carry some books and fenders are always a good idea if you want to use it for more than just recreation.

I set up my old mountain bike for the same purpose, but it was a old style frame and fork so it had a much less upright position so it was much easier to pedal. I also cut about four inches off each side of the handlebars so that I wont have as big of a frontal area.

It looks like you are on the right track Keep It Simple Stupid is a grate way for bikes.

good luck

mike frye the bike guy.

6. bstickler92

the gearing is 36t in the front and 20t in the back for a 1.8:1 ratio. i've got a lot of hills to climb here so i'll be sticking with the short ratio. i put the 16 on, but i need a shorter chain because it skips when i pedal.

there is a small rack on the rear for anything that can't fit in my backpack. i usually fit everything i need in my backpack when i ride and anything extra heavy will be fastened to the rack. i do love the idea of fenders, i get quite dirty when i ride in any kind of mud so that's what i'll be saving up for next