Stand Alone or Kit

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by TxCyclist, Aug 9, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

For those who ride indoors what setup do you have? Dedicated indoor bike or a conversion kit for one of your roadies.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I got a CycleOps Fluid trainer and rollers. I have Inside Ride's E-Motion rollers (Inside Ride, Inc.: Home of E-Motion Rollers - Overview) and am really happy with them. Though with all the outside riding I've been getting in, I'm dreading the winter nights I'm gonna need to spend on those.

3. joseyd77

joseyd77 Guest

CycleOps Trainer

I am an amateur cyclist and was wondering if using my '06 Specialized Tricross Comp Double on my trainer will damage the bike components in any way. I bought the CycleOps Fluid Trainer, and it has worked well, but I have noticed that the rear tire is "shedding" onto the flywheel. Should I use a more rugged tire for indoors, is this normal, or do I have it set-up incorrectly?

Thanks!

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Spinning on those trainers generates a lot of heat. This is murder on your tires. And if you are using a tire with any lugs/tread, it will eat it up quickly. The sell trainer specific tires (Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer Road Bike Tires from Realcyclist.com), but I just keep my worn out road tires when I replace them for use on the trainer. If you set your resistance way high, the heat build up would get even worse, and this could also be your problem, but I think your issue will be solved if you use an old road bike tire with the tread worn down.

5. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I use a Minoura RDA, rim drive trainer, generates less heat and the tires don't get used up. It is a little pricey, and you can't do heavy accelerations due to clutching system in the flywheels. I use it a lot in the winter due to snow, kinda hard to ride in the snow, I've tried, but keep falling down, imagine that... pic is day I left to follow Tour of CA, was an incredible time way too much fun...
    DrB

Attached Files:

6. RaceDayRush

RaceDayRush Guest

Being a mountain biker, i've put a nice slick on for my CycelOps fluid trainer. There is a little bit of tire shed but for the most part; it works pretty good.

For eye candy while on your trainer, you should check out Welcome to Race Day Rush It's free. Access to cool race videos to keep you focused while you're on your trainer.

7. crazystreet

crazystreet Guest

They could make a trainer device that generates electricity :D

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I just set one of my road bikes up on a trainer.

9. Biker

Biker New Member

They did do that on Gilligan.

10. mrcarino

mrcarino Guest

What about using a treadmill?

11. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Ride your bike on a treadmill? Please post a video. That would be hilarious!

12. shiboleth

shiboleth New Member

my answer

See my posts "Beauty, Old Yeller and the Beast" for my answer.