Stationary Bike is Killing Me, Why?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Grenouille, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

At the gym (where I've retreated while waiting for the glaciers outside to recede) I struggle to do a half hour on a stationary bike at the cadence/speeds that on my actual bike I can do for 3 hours without stopping. Any ideas why? or more to the point, any ideas on how to improve?

-- Bad positioning of seat/pedals/handlebars?
    -- Machine actually underreports how hard I'm working?
    -- I'm just out of shape for cycling (though been doing other aerobic/strengthening stuff regularly all winter)?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm going with position first. Do you coast? Do you get up out of the saddle every few minutes? I doubt that you can go for three hours on your bike without shifting around a bit, which may be the problem on the stationary bike.

3. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Yup, I confess, I do coast sometimes, and I do stop for intersections, riding is never uniform.

But no good way to fix position on the gym bike other than raise/lower the seat.

4. tomk

tomk Member

I have the same problem. I just can't get them adjusted to where I am comfortable. I have a little bit better luck with the recumbent bikes at the gym but for the most part I just pray for spring!

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

It's because all you do is SIT THERE AND PEDAL -- no swooping corners, no bunnyhops, etc.

In '05, my (R) arm was in a cast to the shoulder, so I couldn't ride; a friend loaned me his trainer so I wouldn't get flabby (and I readily agreed).

Used it twice; the most GODAWFUL experience of my adult life! I'd rather get another divorce than ride a stationary bike or a trainer!

6. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Trainers to me are like Latin. I may ride them once in a while, just as I might research a latin word here and there. I'm not going to make a habit of doing either one.

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I find that with my road bike on the trainer I can't go a long time without getting off for some reasom ( bathroom call ) 30 min come back and do anouther 30 :eek:. I think you have to be realy dedecated in training to keep the peddals going :rolleyes:

8. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

I have an upright exercise bike, with magnetic resistance to vary the resistance. The seat can be adjusted up, down, forward and back. I can ride for 2 hours with no problem. 2 tricks I found that work for me. Get something interesting on TV to watch, that way I'm not thinking about the ride, or comfort. The other thing I do is ride my riding clothes. Padded shorts and all. I even put my clip pedals on the upright in the winter. Try those 2 tricks and see if you can take your mind off the bike.
    But it was 50 in PA yesterday, I took the real bike out for a spin.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Is there a physical reason for you not being able to ride as long? Pain?

10. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

The Stationary just tires me out real quick. Doesn't hurt. Better hope for a warm spell, get rid of enuf snow so i can get back on the road !

11. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Don't give up, mix it up! If you're stuck on a stationary bike, now is a good time to do some easy intervals. Even if it's just a few minutes of a slightly higher pace, then stand and/or coast for a bit, then do it again. Just throw some variety in, and it will be your friend. And don't forget to warm up and cool down.

12. PJinNJ

PJinNJ New Member

trainer

I bought some cross country or global cycle touring books and read them only while on the stationary. I can ride for hours now. I think it's a mental thing, distract yourself and you can keep going.

13. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Did some intervals/coasting on the thing this morning, thanks , that's some help. Mostly though, realized I'm sliding slowly off the seat, thing is set up for a "cruiser" type riding. After a half hour my legs felt like they do after a half century. Only real remedy here is warm weather ! Thanks though everyone.