Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a good one brewing as to why you shouldn't use an elliptical machine. Give me a day to write it up.

·
Two skinny J's
21,452 Posts
Hmm, this can't be good :D

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I have a Vision Fitness elliptical that I have been using on and off for at least 12 years. My machine lacks the upper body ski poles for no better term. I cant imagine what I could be doing to harm myself.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main thing is that while they do promote more glute activation than walking which is good, that's under the assumption that simeone's glutes are functioning correctly.

Given that 80+% of cyclist ive worked have deficits in this area, it's a tricky proposition. Plus, ellipticals have a higher anterior pelvic tilt (swayback) potential which shortens hip flexors, shuts down glutes and lats, hampers lower abdominal wall function, impairs diaphragmatic breathing as well as spinal erector function.

There are quite a few muscles in the calves and hamstrings that showed decreased function in all of the studies I read from prolonged use which then could represent in gait issues while walking.

Other than that....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I give up. Seems no matter what you do, someone is saying it's wrong and/or actually harmful. Elliptical machines feel easier on my knees than treadmills. Sometimes you just have to have a fairly quick indoor workout, and get on with your life's other commitments. This is not aimed at the OP, just general frustration.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I give up. Seems no matter what you do, someone is saying it's wrong and/or actually harmful. Elliptical machines feel easier on my knees than treadmills. Sometimes you just have to have a fairly quick indoor workout, and get on with your life's other commitments. This is not aimed at the OP, just general frustration.
As I have posted I use mine on and off. The OP is just putting out some facts and figures about using an elliptical most likely as a main means of exercise. By sharing information on the strong and weak points of a specific discipline we can address limitations if needed. Maybe these limitations would adversly effect someone as a cyclist and they wont be getting the benifits they are seeking by doing so.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing the right thing.

Lets see where this thread leads I for one find it interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive almost got the article done. Hopefully by tonight.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So if your ass works properly and your posture is OK, could this be a beneficial part of one's exercise program?

davereo, to your knowledge, have you experienced any harmful effects after 12 years of using your elliptical trainer?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
So if your ass works properly and your posture is OK, could this be a beneficial part of one's exercise program?

davereo, to your knowledge, have you experienced any harmful effects after 12 years of using your elliptical trainer?
None what so ever.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The article is done. Keep in mind as you read it, that it is presentation of science based on how the body moves, what an elliptical machine does to muscle function and the POTENTIAL implications of long term use and repetitive stress movements.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I actually like this machine because its different. Your other machines are constant and do the same thing always. If you do the same workout always, your body gets used to it and then it really doesn't do anything new for you minus the normal health benefits. If you use a machine that works out everything which you can do differently each time (at least I can on ellipticals I use), then your body cannot get used to it and you work out a lot of parts. Like mentioned above, the elliptical seems to help my knees more than other machines, so I stick with it. Plus its the machine that makes me sweat the most at the gym. In fact 10 minutes of using it (highest level) and I have to sit down and take a breather LOL

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shawn said:
I actually like this machine because its different. Your other machines are constant and do the same thing always. If you do the same workout always, your body gets used to it and then it really doesn't do anything new for you minus the normal health benefits. If you use a machine that works out everything which you can do differently each time (at least I can on ellipticals I use), then your body cannot get used to it and you work out a lot of parts. Like mentioned above, the elliptical seems to help my knees more than other machines, so I stick with it. Plus its the machine that makes me sweat the most at the gym. In fact 10 minutes of using it (highest level) and I have to sit down and take a breather LOL
What were your thoughts on the article? Particularly the muscles that aren't as active as you use the machine?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like as long as you mix it up and do other things, some elliptical machine usage is not a bad thing.
That's spot on, but the tricky part is not too many people do. I'm assuming 1x/week won't do that much harm, hours on end per week, different story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts