Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is normal or not, but the rear wheel of my Giant has a steady click, steady with wheel speed. Speeds up and slows down with the bike. Not loud, but a noticeable click. The wheels are Gipiemme Parade, aluminum areo style wheels.
Hubs match.
It doesn't seem to effect performance at all, spin easy., Cartridge bearings, and feel great. No play at all, and you can't feel the click when spinning it by hand.
I have heard it from others bikes from time to time.
Is it normal for some wheels/hubs?
If so, what causes it and can you eliminate it?
It's tough to sneak up and pass anyone if they hear me coming.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Only thing I can think of is to try a drop of lube at each point where the spokes connect to the hub and where they cross each other. Noises on bikes are tricky because they don't always come from where they seem to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be absolutely sure its not coming from the bottom bracket. If not, the freehub body may need to be inspected by a shop mechanic. I wonder, does the clicking stop when you stop pedaling? If it doesn't it is for sure in the hub body. In which case it may be the quality of hub. For example, freehubs by Shimano have regular clicking and play in them until you get into 105 components and above.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The click is a steady click with only the rear wheel.
It has to be the hub, freewheel or whatever you call it. I can simply lift the bike off the ground, and slightly spin the rear wheel and it's there, nothing else turning. Sounds like it belongs.
I need to get it to a shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts