Steamroller

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by TxCyclist, Jul 19, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Anyone own or rode one?

2. BackBayBrewing

BackBayBrewing New Member

I've ridden and sold/built a few when I was working at a shop in CT. They are pretty sweet rides. If you are looking for a solid frame without a lot of frills, and cheaper than most other new frame sets, the steam roller is a nice choice.

3. Jimi

Jimi Guest

What's a steamroller? :confused:

4. TxCyclist

Steamroller is a single speed that Surly manufactures. Would really love to own one.

5. pmotyka

pmotyka New Member

I've got one and love it. Granted, I don't have a ton of experience with track oriented frame/forks before owning it. My previous setup was a Specialized Langster. I got the frame/fork second hand, it has been very reliable and a pleasure to ride.

[​IMG]

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That is a fine looking bike. Love the colors. Does it come that way or is it custom?

7. pmotyka

pmotyka New Member

Its a custom build done by a friend. Pretty sure the stock build has black wheels. I'm sort of 'over' the Velocity orange wheels. Would totally trade them for a black pair of something similar (need not be deep V).

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think it adds to the flash. I would understand not wanting them though.

9. pmotyka

pmotyka New Member

Yeah, I was initially very into the wheels, after all, they were free! I've been riding on them for over a year now and am at the point of wanting to tone down the overall look of the bike. Was considering a set of Weinmann black deep V wheels. Any idea how well they ride? Would it be a noticeable difference over the Velocity wheels?

10. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Weinmann

The Weinmann wheels are excellent for the price. Several guys at our LBS have them, bulletproof. Putting white ones on a old Schwinn Continential to become a single.

11. TxCyclist

I really liked the Surly but the more I dug around them their components were not that great.

Also is Surly not just a division of some conglomerate? They make it seem like they are a one off builder.

12. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Is this frame available online? If not who is a dealer in East Tennessee?

13. Gman2

Gman2 New Member

I have had a sreamroller for the past 2 1/2 years and love it. great bike, super sturdy, never a problem......until last night. I had a good crash while ridding it and bent the down tube bad so now the front wheel wont pass under it.

I am going to give them a call. I know they have a 3 year warrenty on their frames, so we will see what they have to say.

14. Gman2

Gman2 New Member

no crash replacement. they are a great company, but there are others (IRO) who make a comperable bike and have a better warranty.