Steel Road Bike

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by speedfan, Sep 1, 2010.

1. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

I want to build a steel frame road bike this winter. Any suggestions on a good steel frame to build on? I am riding a 2006 Madone, I want something comparable in quality.

2. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

Here is a grouping of current custom steel frame builders from across the web (and those who will be at the Handmade Bicycle Show in Austin early next year). No particular order...

fur.ly | shorten multiple urls into one

3. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Could not get this link to work. Is there a web site?

4. jad3

5. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Thanks for the help and smart ass reaponse. I did try copy paste and also highlighting, again it will not go to a page, thanks, again.

6. jad3

I mean my copy paste skills...not yours...Sorry should have clarified...I would have read it the same as you. Seriously...I clicked the first link and had issues too hence my retry on the post.

7. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

My apologies, bad reaction on my part. The link was great the 2nd try. Very helpful, Steve

8. jad3

Cool - i was feeling awful over here knowing I didn't express myself well for a message board and it sent you the wrong message :) Glad the link it worked.

I am thinking about one of the Austin based builders - True Fabrications or Alchemy. I like because they are close...both seem to be smaller shops.

I am considering a professional fit session on my current road bike and then compare to what the builders say. I still have neck pain after 40-50 miles. 60 is where my head hangs down and won't look up :) Would like to know that will be fixed before shelling out the cash for a custom steel build.

Why are you targeting steel? I am going that way because a) I am scared to death of hurting my carbon ride (and already have in some respect). b) Have a steel ss I love for comfort and stiffness and c) man they look sweet :)

9. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

I built a steel single froma Masi frame. After riding several miles, the sweet ride of steel had me remembering why I loved bikes as a kid. It just feels better, hard to point to one specific. The feel of the road without being harsh is beautiful. The fact that there are some really cool looks and designs does not hurt. Who wants to be like everybody else?
    I like the Alchemy and also Engin, I have contacted a couple of these builders, may be only a dream.