STI vs SRAM Double Tap

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by thoffman, Jun 17, 2009.

1. thoffman

thoffman New Member

Can anybody explain the difference between the Shimano STI shifters and the SRAM Double Tap shifters?

From Performancebike.com description of SRAM: "DoubleTap mechanism with Zero Loss technology utilizes a single lever for shifting and a dedicated lever for braking -- what you get is quick, precise upshifts and downshifts in ONE smooth motion"

I have not seen the SRAM in person and it is hard to understand how they are different from STI.... or are they???

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

SRAM's double tap technology is different from Shimanos STI setup. SRAM uses a 1 to 1 cable actuation ratio. So for every movement in your shift lever there is equal movement in the der. cable. Shimano typically uses a 2 to 1 ratio. SRAM uses the inner paddle lever, not the brake lever to shift. Check out this link and see if this helps.

SRAM Corporation

After clickin the link click on the word "technologies" near the top of the page.

It is a pretty cool shifter. Its worth checking out if you never have. I am a huge fan of SRAM components and have been for the past 6 years. Hope this helps.

3. thoffman

thoffman New Member

Thanks for the info. I was on the SRAM site yesterday but somehow missed the technologies page. This explains it well.

My bike is 15 years old now and a hodge-podge of original and new-to-me Shimano parts I have picked up over the years. My Dura Ace STI Shifters are well worn and loose now. Sometimes they shift without issue, other times I have to play with them to make them work. I think it all depends on how I am holding my tongue.

I am considering tearing my bike down this autumn and rebuilding it with new componants and I like the SRAM stuff. I'll have to try out the shifters somewhere before I make my final decisions.

Thanks again...TRH

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

The new SRAM components are really amazing. Good luck with whatever you decide to and keep us posted, especially if you tear down your bike and rebuild.

5. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

The SRAM stuff is really cool. It takes a little getting used to the double tap shifting. I have had bikes with Campy and Shimano. One thing cool about SRAM is you can pull the shift lever back and into the drops, so you can easily shift when in them. The hoods have a nice ergonomic feel to them too. I love Campy, but as expensive as it is, my next bike will likely have SRAM.

6. jocww

jocww New Member

I was going to get sram compents but i couldnt get used to pulling back and in to shift or forward and in to shift. just to weird for me. So I stayed with the shimano DA stuff for my scott

7. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Huh? Back and in, forward and in? I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

8. jocww

jocww New Member

to shift you have to push the shifter in like normal to shift up it was push in and forward. to shift down it was push in and back. Make sense now?

9. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

No. I don't know anything about the forward and back stuff. I've only had to push in a little, or twice as far. That shifted for me no problem. I've just checked it again. You either push it in one click to release the derailleur, or two clicks (one big push) to move the derailleur up. This is on red. Is it different on force?

10. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

The rivals I just got in the mail today seem to work that way as well, now to get some SRAM derailleurs so I can try these bad boys out.

11. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

You're going to love them Bantam! Like I said, I'm a Campy man, but given the price, the next new bike will have Sram.

12. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Campy ftw! :)

Seriously though, the Sram stuff looks awesome, but I didn't like the double tap action, obviously Lance likes it since he's running Sram RED in the tour.

How many gears can you dump/climb with a single lever motion with the double tap? With the Campy I can drop half the cassette with a single flick if I need to (plus it goes to 11 man!)

Incidentally, Campy doesn't have to be that expensive, the problem is that if you buy it in the US, it has to go through a reseller so you end up paying extortionate prices, in Europe, dealers can order direct from Campagnolo.

I have full Super Record 11 on my road bike, buying the full gruppo here will run you around $3.5k (or at least would when I bought it). I mail ordered it from Europe (starbike.com/totalcycling.com) and it came in at $1800 or so, which is certainly on a par with Sram RED.

For some reason, even Dura-Ace is pretty cheap if you mail order it from Europe, Sram not so much.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  13. jocww

jocww New Member

It was on a rival. The set was on a giant ocr c3.

14. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Kyoseki- Good to know! I love how you can dump with Campy. I haven't tried with sram, but I imagine it's the same as Shimano because the single click is down. I think the real reason Astana is riding Sram is simply because Shimano had no interest in sponsoring them. Too bad for them. Sram's market share is GROWING.
    Jocww- Sorry man, they must have had that set up all wrong. There is no forward and reverse motion. Just throwing short or far. I checked out the Sram videos and they showed the same thing. Nicely adjustable though!

15. jocww

jocww New Member

ugh well maybe when I get a new bike or the DA wears out Ill try some SRAM