Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new road bike. It is 16 pounds lighter than my old one, 38 years younger and I want it to be as efficient as possible.

It came with pedals as nice gift from the dealer as I know nice road bikes usually do not (Do to a leg issued I can't use the clip-less, sad I know). So I would like to us these freebies for a while. However the do not spin very freely. I can keep them parallel to the ground when the should easily fall perpendicular. Is there a way to lube or loosen a pedal so it will spin more freely.

I want all the work I'm putting into my pedaling to go towards moving forward and quickly.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
(Do to a leg issued I can't use the clip-less, sad I know
If you wanna try clipless, throw some mtn bike pedals on your ride. I have eggbeaters on my roadbike. They have lotsa float so they don't mess with your knees. As a side advantage, you can actually walk in mtn bike shoes.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Have you try lubing the spindles? Is there a dustcap on the outside edge? Haven't worked on flat pedals yet.....Any brand on them?

You could always go to a BMX pedal if you wanted to, large flatform for less hot spots, stiff and grippy.

I agree with the beer-meister above, Eggbeaters have a ton of float and are 4 sided, no need to flip the pedal like a Look/Keo/Dura-Ace/Ultegra pedal.

When I buy my 'cross bike next month I'll be putting eggbeaters on it, I currently use Shimano 520 pedals on my road bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts