Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding went to my boyfirends house the other night it's 13 miles door to door but it is a very hilly 13 miles compared to what I normally do. and then we rode back first thing in the morning it took 2 hours to get there because we made pit stops along the way adjusting my lights and anything else he thought i needed but it took us just over an our to get back home the next morning.
but the last few days here it has been so HOT here with heat index at 112 and at 99 at 10 pm I took two short rides today. I ride to pool spend a couple of hours there then ride back ride to the tanning bed and back and take the senic route home but that is only about 10 miles give or take a few.
I figure that if I keep riding in the heat that along should help build up some endurance right? and any suggestions for ridding in high heat othe than the normal LOTS of water I would love to hear also
thanks guys!!!!!

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Water water and more water. Throw in a Gatoraide for good measure to. I personally love riding in that kinda heat plus I got the humidity here. Sorta mad I can't get out and ride this week gotta wait till pay day for a new tire. Supposed to be a heatwave all week :D Yes I am slightly twisted LOL. As far as building endurance to it just keep on riding your body will adjust to the heat in time as with anything else to do with riding.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Great to see you're sticking with it. I've been riding 3-4 times a week since March and my wife says I get grumpy if I don't get to ride enough.... not sure what she means by that ;-)

Anyways, as bikebum said, stay hydrated. you lose a lot of water and salt in the heat. Also, getting over heated in these conditions isn't out of the question so listen to your body and adjust your effort accordingly. I don't recall all of the symptoms, but dizziness is one of them. Over time you will build endurance to the heat, but as you do just take it easy.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK yes I know having limited amounts of water with me makes it hard to go any real distance. it seems normally now I stop every 5 miles and take a few minute but with the heat it seems to be every 3 miles I'm thinking of getting one of those bladder systems I have a back pack for one. but wondering what the extra weight would do to me?

We have been under an extreme heat warming and will be till 8pm Saturday when it' still in the 90's at 10 pm thats just crazy!!!!! It wasn't even that bad when I lived in Florida.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
@mom I'm just drooling now cause of work hadn't been able to ride but those kinda temp are just my favorite. I have never tried a bladder pack before thinking about it though but me I usually carry a few s qt juice bottle(yes I reuse them as much as some might cringe) but I have a rack a small pack and a top mounted basket I keep it in. I would guess seeing as I have carried a good amount in a pack on a bike(wearing the pack) It will make you a bit stronger in time only thing I don't like bout a pack is if you encounter any crosswinds almost acts like a keel to try and knock me over plus extra weight on my shoulder not so good either.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Oh nother thing forgot to add if I am riding a long distance even if I do have enough water nothing like a few short breaks in this kinda heat. We are getting over 100 degree heat indexes this week and I'm in Connecticut the humidity has bee wicked just standing around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of hydration with you as others have already said. You definitely will need it! I ride about 3 days a week right now, as I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon, so I use my cycling as my cross training. I always have water with me no matter what as it's very hot and humid here in Orlando.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always have water with me no matter what as it's very hot and humid here in Orlando.

You are from Orlando? You may know of my uncle he is on a committee that helps with the bike paths and routes and such in orlando his name is Scott Zubarik. I would be asking him all this stuff but it is hard to get a hold of him.

I'll be in Orlando the first week of Auguest to visit family I lived in Kissimmee for several years and two of my children were born there also. I use to ride all over kissimme back in the 80's when it was not as crazy huge like it is now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride in the Kissimmee area a good amount of time since my parents live there. I don't know Scott, but I know Mighk who more than likely knows him. Lots of cyclists around here, just not as many who abide by the law and safety stuff sadly.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's such a small world I have aunts and uncles and cousins and my grandpa (grandma passed in January)and an x husband in kissimmee and aunt and uncle in Orlando all Indiana transplants lol but back then riding was more of a transportion thing than a for fun thing yep had one of those big ugly baby seats on the back in those days lol
I'll just be glad when this heat lets up so I can do some serious riding :)

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So yestrday I found the city bike trail which isn't much help in my training but oh it's so nice to not have to dodge cars. it's over 7 miles long and has a water fountain at one end and a out house at the other lol... but it is such a nice non-stressful ride I can do two laps and not be stressed at all.. I only have 3 more days to ride before heading to Florida for a week. and am So looking forward to that.. going to spend aweek at the Disney Hilton and spend the week at the Lazy river :)
then come home and hit the roads hard till September yeah GO ME!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mom I read some of your posts. It sounds like you are doing awesome!!!! I am new on this forum, but I ride alot. I think you said you had a mountain bike? I have a mb I ride on the street. The skinny tires are amazing. They really help rolling resistance. I have heard that other people with wrist/hand pain like Oury grips. I dont use them, but maybe check them out.Try to get your bike to a good bike shop. They can really help you on sizing and do a complete tune up on your bike. The play in your cranks sounds like it could be a bottom bracket problem. If you shop around and look for bargains you can score good parts on Ebay for pretty cheap. Take your time and get a good idea what similar things are going for. I hope I dont get in trouble with this , but Pinkbike.com is a good place for used parts. MTBR.com has some good reviews on products. You might want to try a suspension fork. It will make your bike heavier but might help with the wrist/hand pain. They really suck up the bumps. Sorry if someone already told you this stuff or if I sound obnoxious.
Keep riding.
P.S. I live in FL and it hasnt gotten below 82 for 5 days and thats at night!
That sounded weird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts