Stopping to appreciate. Thanks, Andy! Thanks, DnvrFox!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by newleaf150, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

1. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Although I'm a cycle tourist, I've learned that I'm really not inclined to stop when I'm out riding. Pretty much ever, photo ops excepted. Although I bring plenty of food along whenever I ride, I don't eat as often as I should, and when I do, it usually looks like me horking a Clif bar while straddling my bike trailside following a photo op. I cram pieces into my cheeks like a d@mned squirrel so I can get back on the pedals and underway while continuing to masticate. I just love to go.

Although he hasn't been around the site as much of late, I had the pleasure of meeting DnvrFox twice out on the trail while living in his area. For those who don't know, Dnvr had a special needs son named Andy. I never met Andy, but Dnvr spoke of him frequently. Andy loved to ride a trike in his younger years, and following his recent passing, Dnvr chose to remember him in part by putting up a bench in his honor on a local greenway. Although I wasn't able to attend Andy's services or the bench's dedication, I did mark its location when Dnvr shared it.

Once while out pulling my trailer with canine companion Chip, I stopped at Andy's bench and made a point to get off the bike and take a seat while I ate my bar somewhat more slowly than usual. I just sat there and soaked in the peace of the greenway for a few minutes, appreciating how fortunate I am to have access to it, and to possess the physical ability to take advantage of it. It sounds like a small thing.

That was last year, before Mrs. Newleaf and I sold our old home and bought a new one in a different part of Denver's suburbs. I haven't forgotten Andy or his bench, though. So it came to be that last month, when the time came to stop and break out the food, I spotted another bench. I remembered, and stopped. It wasn't Andy's bench, but it didn't need to be.

I just needed the mindset, the reminder, to stop and take a moment. As great as it is to spin through mile after mile of road and trail, there's a lot to be said for stopping and getting off the bike, too. Taking a moment to appreciate the river, the trees, the sense of natural quiet in the midst of a major metropolitan area. Or whatever it is that your area has to offer.

As much as I love my saddle time, I was missing the stopping and enjoying part. I still need to get better at it, but thanks to Andy and DnvrFox, I have been reminded that it matters. Thank you, Andy, may you rest in peace. Thank you DnvrFox, may many more happy, safe miles lie in your future.

2. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

^That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Dos_Ruedas, longjohn and MilesR like this.

3. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

4. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Very nice newleaf. I bet many of us can learn right along with you.

It's good that you remember Andy, even though you aren't in his area.