Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the finished product, put her first 43 miles on her today and she rides like a dream :)

Attachments

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Looks nice, looks like some good rideing ahead of you.
How about a list of components on the bild ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the frame set from the Stradalli website, but yes they do sell frame sets on ebay. As far as a components list goes I posted a thread called: Stradalli bike build, need advice; with a list and links to all the parts on the bike, and thanks for the complements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
first week riding 2011 stradalli palermo

Hi. I researched many bikes over the last month, trying to get the most (carbon-road) bike for my money. I decided to buy on-line (sorry LBS) and in fact found this palermo on ebay by a private seller for $500 off list from the stradalli site. Luckily it was my frame fit. After the bike and components arrived I had my LBS build it for approx $120 (2hr labor). I pre-purchased mich pro 3 tires and shimano 105 pedals (will up grade to ultegra soon) and braught those along as well. The LBS mechanic had never seen this bike (as it is new this year) but really liked it. It came with SRAM force components- standard crank + 11-28 red cassette and stradalli carbon clinchers (~1420 grams total). My LBS did a fantastic job with the build and fit me for free since I purchased specialized bibs. Total weight with pedals, carbon bottle holders and tape..16.3 lbs.
My first ride was unbelievable. Just incredibly fast and way easier to ride than my previous (now trainer bike) Redline 760 alum, Shim 105, with carbon fork,seatstays and seat tube @ 24.5 lbs!!
I have been out 4 times since (~150 miles) and I can't say enough good things. I did have to return to my LBS for a quick adjustment of the front and rear derailure to improve the shifting, which now works great and I'm glad I have sram force (BTW double tap shifting is easy to adjust to from shimano).
This bike climbs with ease, is very stiff but not harsh to ride at all (unlike my R760). The finish/color is perfect. Maybe alittle bold with all the print for my taste but I got it because I wanted the best bike for the money. I would highly recommend this bike. I will soon order some nuevation or stradalli alum clinchers for training and save the carboney's for future race days..

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Great looking bike...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, that is a nice bike! I like the colors with SRAM red shifters.

On a side note..I've been riding my stradalli palermo over the last 3 months every chance I get..it's been a consistent, fun, fast ride. finished a hilly century yesterday and feel fine. I did replace the 50mm carbon clincher wheels with stradalli 25mm al clinchers for training- oh and i had to remove those decals. Don't really notice a difference except at higher speeds. I upgraded my 105 pedals to dura ace (gotta love ebay deals) and the sram cables, although fairly new were constantly needing adjustment so I went with yokozuna reaction cables. Fanatastic! haven't missed a shift since and improved the already good breaking. The bikes great--I'm a fanatic about keeping every thing clean--I highly recommend Boeshield T9--buy it by the gallon (~$100). Aloha

·
Registered
2 Posts
shakabra, how do you like the Stradalli 50 wheelset?. Have they held up well? I'm thinking of getting a set but no warranty has me on the ropes. Did they offer you one and its just not listed on the site. I have email them twice with no response as well.

Hey, that is a nice bike! I like the colors with SRAM red shifters.

On a side note..I've been riding my stradalli palermo over the last 3 months every chance I get..it's been a consistent, fun, fast ride. finished a hilly century yesterday and feel fine. I did replace the 50mm carbon clincher wheels with stradalli 25mm al clinchers for training- oh and i had to remove those decals. Don't really notice a difference except at higher speeds. I upgraded my 105 pedals to dura ace (gotta love ebay deals) and the sram cables, although fairly new were constantly needing adjustment so I went with yokozuna reaction cables. Fanatastic! haven't missed a shift since and improved the already good breaking. The bikes great--I'm a fanatic about keeping every thing clean--I highly recommend Boeshield T9--buy it by the gallon (~$100). Aloha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Howzit downhill, I really like the carbon 50mm clinchers. They came with the bike, which I purchased on ebay from a private seller so the whole package came w/o warranty (but I saved $500 off stradalli for the whole bike). I put mich pro3 service course tires on them and they have been fanatastic. Very light, very fast and especially down hill with wind, it feels like I'm cutting through it like sailing. Because their light they climb fast too. I've hit the occasional small pot hole and they were not effected. The carbon is 3k weave, with aero spokes. My only draw back was the decals-I kinda like less flash-but then who cares? You could probably upgrade the rear hub? in time but I'm happy with what they use. After two months of riding I opted for purchasing their 25mm al clinchers which for the price was a great deal. Save the 50's for race day. FYI- neuvation has great deals too. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Downhill, I forgot to mention..you might want to give stradalli a call..I don't have their number off hand but they answered my call when I had a question. aloha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you!

I had asked a question about this bike on another forum and you would think I was offending them. 16.5 lbs is the answer that I was looking for. You made my day. Back to ebay I say. I'm a disabled vet and cycling is the only sport I'm capable of truly enjoying. I was a fitness fanatic prior to my injuries which are quite extensive & to many to list. I'll summarize the ones that effect me cycling at least. femur fracture that was not reassembled properly and is 2" short and 30+ degrees pronated my right quadraceps are now biceps, my tendon that holds the femur to the tibia that runs under the kneecap was 3" wide, it is now 3/4 inches wide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I started biking I have reignited my physical machine from a atate of atrophy to a state of growth. I went from 220lbs of solid muscle to 155, in one month I'm at 190lbs. simple physics dictate that the stress on that now small tendon will be greater than it was at 155lbs. All I wanted to know was how much the bike weighed, as my current Giant Defy as I have it set up now weighs 25lbs. The STRADALLI shaves nearly 9lbs, simple physics dictate there will be less stress. & all I wanted to know was, had anyone had experience with this bike or knew of anyone that had one. I guess some people think that if you don't spend 10K or more on a bike your an idiot. Well call me an idiot cuz i'm getting one. Thanks again Shakabra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Patella chrondromalacia is what they say is wrong with my knee, sorry I didnt say which tendon it was, it is the patella. & it's alot worse than chrondromalacia theres parts missing. It's just a tactic to save the VA money. Thanks again Bruda, from Howley Boy LOL!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Howzit bra!
Glad this thread helped and I hope you get the bike you need. Dropping 9 lbs on bike weight is huge! I did the same thing.
I too had a hard time finding any feedback on the Palermo. So far I've had it 5 months and I still ride it every chance I get, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. No issues at all. But you are right some folks frown on an "internet bike". I did replace the sram red cassette (came with bike) with an ultegra 11-28, coupled with the yokozuna reaction cable set (installed by LBS) and it shifts better. Once in a while when it starts to miss shift, I clean the cassette (remove rear wheel it's easier) clean chain and lube with Boshield and tighten the rear derailer cable. I clean and lube front derailer same time but have not had to tighten as much. I suggest getting or making a bike stand so you can do your own maintenance.
I like the standard sram crank (53-39) as opposed to the compact crank (faster flats and downhill but more work on climbs). You may want to opt for a compact crank to make it easier on your knees. If you can get the bike with carbon wheels all the better, they make you go even faster/easier.
Hope this helps, good riding, good health! Aloha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts