Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Hack, Please explain to a nube why curved offers more comfort? Wheel base?
Not sure I can do that, as it may only be my perception. But any road bike I've ridden with straight forks generally had a harsh, uncomfortable ride. That may be because they were aluminum bikes, which I've never really liked to begin with. All the steel bikes I've ridden had curved forks.

While I can't imagine that they would actually flex, I've always had the impression that the curve somehow has the potential to smooth out a ride, where a straight fork transmits a lot to the cockpit.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Straight directs the majority of the up and down motion in to your arms upper torso. Curved allows more of the stress to work it way into the frame. Just an observation.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Straight directs the majority of the up and down motion in to your arms upper torso. Curved allows more of the stress to work it way into the frame. Just an observation.
Is this a fact, or is it really because straight forks are usually found on stiffer frames intended for more competitive riding?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have straight on my bike. I like it. I read you post Industry hack and you said you prefer curved for commuting? I have a Karate Monkey by Surly and it's equipped with straight forks, but I want to use it for commuting and around town riding. Would you change it up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts