Strava strikes again

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by rola643, May 21, 2020.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Oh believe me, I ride the free app train! Paying for every app you use would be a very expensive proposition without a doubt.

I do pay for the ones I use, like Strava, great app and it helps with development in my mind.

BUT I have t question the move they just made. Seems to me like some other boneheaded choices they've made...they stand to loose plenty of users, at least potentially.

I'm in a hurry to get out the door for work this morning but I've seen a lot of "chatter" about this and I'm guessing most here won't mind but I am curious what everyone here seems to think.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/strava-leaderboards-routes-subscription/

John_V likes this.
  2. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I don’t use Strava’s route builder, anyway. RWGPS has a much better one, IMHO. However if Strava is going to require a credit card number for uploading my rides, I guess I’ll have to stick with RWGPS and Endomondo. Only reason I started using Strava was because of the NBC, which required a Strava account.

I actually like Endomondo better than Strava. It doesn’t seem to have the over abundance of testosterone flow that Strava has.

3. rola643

It's more than the route builder and segments and leaderboards....

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  4. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I’ve been a paying member already and will continue to do so. I get a lot of value out of Strava and so long as I do I’ll keep the subscription going. I get it that they need to generate positive cash flow as it is a business after all. I doubt they will lose too many people that were already paying. May convince some who weren’t to upgrade I guess. I think it’s a pretty quality app and interface.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and rola643 like this.
  5. John_V

It is for a lot of people. I've just never been impressed with it. I get more stats from Cyclemeter than I do from Strava. I can also manipulate my data better than I can with Strava. I can view ride data in a multitude of ways, including line and bar charts by workouts by distance, workouts by activity, distance, speed (average and max), heart rate (average and max), cadence (average and max), calories, ascent and decent. I can view rides by chronological order or group them by activity by year, activity by month and year, activity by week and year or activity by day and year. I can also select rides to view by selecting a date on a calendar. Or I can just pick a route or activity and see all the rides I've done in each category showing me best median and worst time or distance.

Cyclemeter accepts any BTLE sensor and supports Apple Watch, Casio Watch and power meters. The database is local (resides on the phone) so I don't need to have cellular or WiFi to connect to it when I want to view stats, which for me says more than any of the other ride sharing sites. It doesn't have a route planner, so I use RWGPS. But it does have an in-app trim feature where you can trim your ride if you forgot to stop the ride and have several miles of your drive home attached to it. I can also compare my rides with friends and not the whole world. It has a new feature that is in beta that not even Garmins have. I can't say what it is yet as I'm a beta tester for them but it'll be worth waiting on.

I use a Bolt to collect my ride data but at the end of the ride I push it to Cyclemeter without the need for WiFi or cellular connection. I have ride data dating back to 1/1/2011 and the database is probably 4 or 5 GB in size. And it's only $10.00 a year. I don't race or compete. What does Strava have to offer me?

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  6. rola643

I also tend to view it this way. There are tons of other marginal apps that I would drop pretty quickly in this same scenario. I would pay for Training Peaks if I raced or could just ify that one, that's on the speedy side of things for just daily riding.

John_V likes this.
  7. rola643

Before Strava I used Sports Tracks and liked it well enough I paid for that one as well. They changed something and I lost my subscription and could never get it back so I dropped them. Shame because like you I could get and manipulate data in that and see it just about anyway I wanted and loved it.

8. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

John, seems like the only thing Strava offers you is the social aspect, seeing other’s rides, your place in the leaderboard on all segments, etc. if none of that appeals to you, you’re missing absolutely nothing. I like seeing friend’s rides, so I can ask for a file of a course map if I find something interesting.

9. John_V

I still upload my rides to Strava because it doesn't cost me anything and it's done automatically by my Bolt. I think the older I get, the less all this competition and testosterone matching means to me. I guess it's also part of getting old.

Three years ago, when Amanda was doing her HAMR, riding with her really increased my speed and I could pretty much keep up with most of the riders out there with speed and distance. After she broke the world records, it didn't quite mean as much. As long as I complete my scheduled ride distance, I'm a happy camper. However, I still like to see my stats. I just feel that I can get a lot more of them from Cyclemeter than from Strava.

Dos_Ruedas and Merlincustom like this.
  10. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Just think .... if you saved up what you spent on Strava to see your standings ion the leaderboards, and instead bought some piece for your bike which was a few grams lighter .... you could move up the leader boards.

But you would never know.

Life's cruel ironies. :D

John_V, Dos_Ruedas and Merlincustom like this.
  11. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I see It as just business. It’s theirs and they are managing the best they can.
    I have never been a paid subscriber, because I didn’t see the value. I like adding segments and watching them fill up and I’ve used segments to estimate my fitness level related to those around me.
    Now that I can only see the top ten, I’m not so sure I need Strava anymore.
    I also use Ride with GPS and like it well.
    Now that I’m actually moving when I ride, I’ll keep Strava for a while and see if it’s still useful.

Note: I don’t have a smart cycling computer YET. I just used the apps to get what I needed. If I’m going to pay a monthly fee, it’ll be toward a nice bike computer.

John_V, rola643 and MilesR like this.
  12. rola643

Here's the thing, 5 bucks a month..I KNOW people piss away more money than that A DAY on a latte or eating junk food from McDonalds- hopefully not many of us here are doing that but you get my point :D Let's use @maelochs in conjunction with @Dos_Ruedas example and say the average cycling computer is 250.00 ( split the difference between a Wahoo Element Bolt and a Garmin 530) bucks assuming you JUST want the computer...see where I'm going with this ? :D That's 50 EASY payments on your new cycling computer and interest...maybe :D So in 4.166 years you'll have saved enough up to buy that band new computer which by that time has gone up in value/price another 10% ( if that's all and we're lucky) Or...you just suck it up and use Strava ( the paid version) on your rides and press on :D

So do I see the value in it? Meh, kinda. To be very honest the feature I use the most is the year progression and being able to compare how I improve or fall short on some of the segments I like and honestly, I think @Merlincustom mentioned it, I like seeing what my friends are doing...or not for some of them :D

I get it, everybody has a different take on it. My long winded way of saying that I feel like my 5 bucks a month is not wasted. I've used Strava for, well who knows how long and they've made tons of improvements and at the same time made some boneheaded moves like the chronological order thingee and that was never a HUGE deal to me. They did seem pretty unresponsive to the users cries on this one tho :D

So without any further adieu, Strava's thoughts below if you haven't already seen and read their perspective on this.

Dear Strava community,

If nothing else, 2020 has been a year of regaining perspective. A silver lining of hard times like these is that they inspire introspection and focus – What matters the most to us? And how do we live up to that?

Our answers to those questions have only gotten clearer in the past few months, and we’re now leading the company with a single purpose: rededicating Strava to our community.

Strava athletes deserve an affordable and constantly improving experience, and we hope you’ve noticed how focused we’ve been this year on delivering that. Our small but mighty team of 180 has released 51 athlete-facing improvements already in 2020, from Apple Watch syncing, to new maps and metrics for snowsports, to a huge update to our Routes features, and a lot more. We’ve also removed some distractions, such as Sponsored Integrations (the closest we’ve ever come to putting ads in the feed). And we returned the option to sort your feed in chronological order. We heard how much that change drove you nuts, and admit it took a really long time to respond.
    (And that would be an understatement IMHO)

Our plan puts subscription at the center of Strava.

This means that, starting today, a few of our free features that are especially complex and expensive to maintain, like segment leaderboards, will become subscription features. And from now on, more of our new feature development will be for subscribers – we’ll invest the most in the athletes who have invested in us. We’ve also made subscription more straightforward by removing packs and the brand of Summit. You can now use Strava for free or subscribe, simple.

This focus on subscription ensures that Strava can serve athletes decades from now, and in an up-front way that honors the support of the athletes we serve today. We plan to take what we earn from these changes and reinvest straight back into building more and better features – not devising ways to fill up your feed with ads or sell your personal information. We simply want to make a product so good that you’re happy to pay for it.

https://www.strava.com/subscription...tm_medium=dorado&utm_campaign=founders_letter

So there it is.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and Merlincustom like this.
  13. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I'm sorry, but your right to have your own ideas and opinions was eliminated under the latest iteration of the Patriot Act ..... no, obviously, we still have ideas all our own, I would never criticize (too much) a person who thought differently than myself. I waste very little money ... no lattes, no fast pseudo-food ..... but we all spend what it takes to buy what we want. Why else work?

If a person uses the parts of Strava that now cost money ... then that person now pays money. It's not like someone stops drinking milk when the price goes up--unless they weren't big milk fans to begin with.

Inner tubes cost more every time I buy a ten-pack (which isn't often .... but the price of patched has gone up, too :) ) I still haven't switched to those Tannus solid tires ....

Having failed at businesses a few times due to undercapitalization, I am jealous as heck that Strava could run this long at a loss ... but no problem for me that they are charging. I hardly ever used them before, now I will use them less.

Of course, if I hadn't had to scroll to the very end of the leader board every time to find my results .......

14. John_V

My sentiments exactly! No matter what I can do and no matter how hard I train, my name will never appear in the top 10, or top 100, of any leaderboard on Strava or anywhere’s else. I don’t bother to check leaderboards but, other than two, I probably don’t know any of the people that are on them anyway. So as far as Strava goes, “Free is for me!”

Dos_Ruedas, Merlincustom and maelochs like this.