Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals just wondering how many of you are like me and ride in normal every day street clothes I.E. jeans and T-shirts etc. Me my usual get up on my rides is exactly that except in the dead of summer I typycally wear cutoff jean shorts and for shoes I am almost always in work boots just more comfortable for me to ride in and yes I know some are gonna yell at me for this I wear my baseball hat don't wear a helmet now never have though I may have to yet my girlfriend keeps bugging me to. So let's have it how many out there ride in normal everyday clothes?

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I save my jersey for hot days and evening rides. I prefer the long sleeves to keep the sun and bugs off me. The rest of the time, a t-shirt does it. I'll wear cargo shorts for short family rides, and cycling shorts (usually MTB cargo shorts) for longer rides. Helmets are for on the street and actual mountain-biking. I don't wear one on the MUP, where the speed limit is something like 10MPH.

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
An acquaintance did his medical internship at Mt Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, MA, couple years back. (Place is adjacent to the Charles River roads, which are a huge cycling corridor). He said their ER averaged one serious bike head injury a day. And it was always someone without a helmet.

Unless you're employed in carrying rocks, or something similar that requires zero brainpower, think about whether you wanna protect your most marketable asset.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I'm only doing 20 miles or less, I will wear a pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt with a pair of crocs on my feet. Longer than that, padded shorts and cycling shoes (all but my road bike have dual purpose petals). I still usually wear a t-shirt, only those made from high performance materials to wick the sweat. I don't own a cycling jersey, and I don't see myself getting one.

Yep, Fred here.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
If I'm riding around town, then I wear regular street clothes. If I'm on a road ride or mtn biking, I wear cycling specific stuff. If I don't wear cycling shorts (or cheap ones) and do any serious saddle time, I get a nasty case of monkey butt, especially if it's hot.:eek:

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
If I'm going on a 2-3+ hour ride in the heat, I'll bust out the lycra; without ALL the heat, the lycra may or may not go under the baggies. But I almost always wear a moisture-wicking shirt for those. Have some long-sleeve, some short, and two actual cycling jerseys.

Commutes, utility rides, etc., are all in streets; but the helmet is always there, as I occasionally get a little silly.

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
Too hot here in Houston to ride in jeans most of the time, and cotton T-shirts don't dry fast enough either.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I wear what I'm wearing. Cycling is more a form of transport so to my line of thinking I wouldn't get dressed up for the bus... why the bike? That and there's no way I'm dropping real money on cycling clothes.

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wear what I'm wearing. Cycling is more a form of transport so to my line of thinking I wouldn't get dressed up for the bus... why the bike? That and there's no way I'm dropping real money on cycling clothes.

RIGHT ON!!!!! Hell I'd rather drop real money on bike stuff first lol or camping or fishing etc clothes are kinda secondary to me anyways I wear them till they pretty much are beyond use as it is lol.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
RIGHT ON!!!!! Hell I'd rather drop real money on bike stuff first lol or camping or fishing etc clothes are kinda secondary to me anyways I wear them till they pretty much are beyond use as it is lol.
Check out Chain Love. I have bought cycling jerseys for less than the price of a t-shirt. Cycling clothes don't have to be expensive. Beware! Chain Love is addictive. Also, when you order from them, "Chain Love" is printed on the box. People at work probably think I'm into S&M or something.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I've seen dudes on Motorcycles in suits and they seemed alright. If there good qulaity light wool I would imagine the wind would rip right through them and probably be better than any jeans. I'll throw on an old pair of my suit pants to test it for ya! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only ride in street clothes, which is usually shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops in the hot Georgia summers. I always wear my bell skateboard helmet, as i feel better protected with it. My longest ride was 75 miles - blue jeans, t-shirt, and a jacket.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
For running errands, which are typically under 5 miles, I wear street clothes

For recreational rides, which range from 20 to 70 miles, I wear cycling specific pants and some kind of wicking shirt(s). For temps below 65F I wear a pair of long pants … usually convertible shorts with the legs on … over the lycra.

Away from home, if I go into a store or restaurant, I’ll always put some real pants on over the lycra. I hate walking into the 7 - 11 in some little town looking like Peter Pan.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Check out Chain Love. I have bought cycling jerseys for less than the price of a t-shirt. Cycling clothes don't have to be expensive. Beware! Chain Love is addictive. Also, when you order from them, "Chain Love" is printed on the box. People at work probably think I'm into S&M or something.
I just read that. Awesome.

My consolation to my promotion to management was to cut down on the Dickies shirts. Still no tie.
Cumber bum? No... I guess not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of my "street clothes" can also double as cycling clothes. I usually choose casual clothing based on how it would function while riding my bike or motorcycle.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Yeah I either wear cargo shorts or running shorts with a t shirt. The Under Armour boxer breifs really help though!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I've heard good things about them. I have a long sleeve I wear under my coat in the winter. I would die without it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts