Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a bit wary about street riding, I've mostly stuck with trails. But our local Cycle Club started a beginner ride with the owners of a local shop. I went on the first ride, and I think I'm hooked. We didn't go up any big hills, but I liked the variety.

I can't wait for next week!

·
Two skinny J's
21,350 Posts
Ahhhh, that's how it starts to go all down hill! It's a great rush!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's kind of funny, we went down a fun hill in Eden Park, a big park in the city, but didn't have a rough uphill. Thinking it was a beginner ride, I brought a friend, who told me to stay with the group pretty much got dropped, with one of the shop owners staying with him. He told me later she wouldn't let him give up.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Just give up, Peters!
You ARE hooked!
It's all downhill from here. Lol

Or, at least you'll wish so on a big climb one day.
Welcome to the club.

Don't throw out the MTB. Lots of fun to be had on anything with two wheels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dos_Ruedas said:
Just give up, Peters!
You ARE hooked!
It's all downhill from here. Lol

Or, at least you'll wish so on a big climb one day.
Welcome to the club.

Don't throw out the MTB. Lots of fun to be had on anything with two wheels.
I'm keeping my hybrid, a good bike to make grocery runs with.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New thing to work on, from last night's ride: Learn how to make a sharp right turn from the righthand lane onto a driveway where the pavement is not level with the street. Ended up going down, messing up my hood and my chain fell off. Shifter a bit scratched up but don't think anything serious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. Scratched up my knee, but nothing bad. Got the bike back from the shop, going there tomorrow for this weeks ride if it's not raining. My wife actually picked it up, said something about the derailleur hanger. They didn't charge for the work, so had to have been minor.

One benefit of riding from a shop with the owners, didn't have to go far to have it looked at.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Road riding is king for me.

·
130 Posts
Streets Safer

Going thru forum and stumbled upon this post.
Where I live any of the parks that have paved trails are shared by joggers walkers and dog walkers also. The problem I find is joggers and walkers are ignorant and rude to bikers they treat you like bikes dont belong where they are at. Most dont hear your warning when coming up behind them because of their ipods stuck in their ears.Dog walkers the same even thou the dog is on a long leash they usually dont retract it short fast enough.
The kicker is there are signs posted telling bikers to be respectful to others using the trails .
So I have found riding in the streets safer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
stogies4life said:
I just found street riding in the last week or so. I have to admit, I too like it so much better than riding the MUP.
Does that mean you ride with the cars or in the bike path on the street...I am a newbie, getting the "lingo" down.

Valerie

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
The road I ride has a small sholder and a lot of big sand trucks, thay seam to know me and look out for me. But you know there is allways one that wants to come close and scare you :eek:

Attachments

·
130 Posts
Ride on road

Here in Pennsylvania some roads have bike lanes but most you ride small shoulder or a foot either side of white line on edge of road. Pennsylvania law states bikes share the road with motorist but cyclists have to obey all the same laws as motorists. New law passed April 1st drivers must give 4 foot space from cyclists when passing. If opposing traffic prevents this they must slow down and wait till opposing traffic is clear then pass with 4 foot berth.
99% motorists dont know it yet so we wil see what happens.
paul

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
The road I ride has a small sholder and a lot of big sand trucks, thay seam to know me and look out for me. But you know there is allways one that wants to come close and scare you :eek:
Glad they look out for you.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Sounds like a good law, but it is only good if people know about it and it is enforced. The cell phone law in N.J. is a joke, no one I know or heard of has ever bin stoped and ticketed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Colorado requires motorists give 3 feet. We have laws against harassing cyclists on the road, too.

I still get the occasional jerk yelling, throwing stuff, or flipping the bird, however.

Oh, well. Stay alert, stay alive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts